Subject: 31.0.50; edebug-no-match: Invalid read syntax: "Failed matching"

From: "Martin Edström" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2025 09:45:02 +0100 (CET)

Hello, I tested this in emacs -Q, using master build as of March 4
(yesterday).

The issue is also present in Emacs 30.1 (Debian package)

Steps:
1. git clone -b bug-1 https://github.com/meedstrom/el-job
2. emacs -Q el-job/
3. Load el-job-child.el
4. Load el-job.el
5. Go to the definition of el-job-launch
6. M-x edebug-defun

I get this result:

edebug-no-match: Invalid read syntax: "Failed matching", ("cl-defun"
[&name symbolp] cl-lambda-list cl-declarations-or-string [&optional
("interactive" interactive)] def-body)

Unfortunately I do not know what I did -- it was a long time since I
last edebugged this defun.

The defun succeeds when you eval it normally.

PS: I finished my FSF paperwork!  
So I'm not averse to getting pointers.
Although edebug.el seems it'll take me a while to dig into.

Martin Edström

-----------

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.48, cairo version 1.18.2) of 2025-03-04 built on deb
Repository revision: 3a8ce5ac9c4652eb87bf0bce835d82083061a28b
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12401006
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINERAMA XINPUT2 XPM
XRANDR GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug lisp-mnt message mailcap yank-media puny
rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils edebug debug backtrace find-func el-job
pcase comp comp-cstr cl-extra help-mode warnings icons cl-seq cl-macs gv
el-job-child dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs compat compile
text-property-search comint subr-x ansi-osc ansi-color ring comp-run
bytecomp byte-compile comp-common rx vc-git diff-mode track-changes
easy-mmode files-x vc-dispatcher cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process tty-child-frames native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 161662 22077) (symbols 48 9927 0) (strings 32 41611 2068)
 (string-bytes 1 1308673) (vectors 16 29122)
 (vector-slots 8 307117 7010) (floats 8 50 150) (intervals 56 1282 13)
 (buffers 992 16))