Subject: bug#76744: [PATCH] etags test doesn't pass

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2025 12:13:34 +0200

> Cc: Vladimir Gorsunov <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2025 13:48:51 -0800
> From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
> 
> On 3/4/25 11:22, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> >> * build-aux/update-copyright: Added check to not change test data
> > This script is maintained in Gnulib, so I'm not sure where to put this,
> > as it's only relevant to Emacs.
> 
> Yes, changes like this should be put into admin/update-copyright, not 
> build-aux/update-copyright.
> 
> However, this kind of change is heading in the wrong direction, as the 
> test files in question mutate from time to time, e.g., commit 
> d0be0965ca344caab7879b2ac2373a68025c9ba2. Instead, either the tests 
> should be redone to be robust in the presence of line number changes, or 
> (probably easier) admin/update-copyright should be taught not to change 
> the number of lines when it updates a copyright date.

For now, I simply updated the expected-results files in
test/manual/etags/.  This is what we've been doing this since these
tests were added.  If someone wants to modify the update-copyright
scripts to skip those files, feel free, but TBH I'm not sure we are
allowed not to update the copyright of test files.