Subject: [bug#76740] [PATCH 0/2] ffmpeg-7: Update to 7.1.1.

From: 45mg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2025 12:47:45 +0000

Hi Guix,

So around 3 weeks ago, I sent a patch to bump ffmpeg-7 to the latest
version, 7.1.1 [1]:

45mg <[email-masked]> writes:

> ffmpeg-7 is currently FFmpeg 7.0.2, which was released on 2024-08-03 -
> 7 months ago. It's probably time for an update.
>
> Version 7.1 adds AAC USAC and VVC support. I also updated mpv to benefit
> from this.
>
> When are we planning to make ffmpeg-7 the default ffmpeg? The current
> default (6.1.1) was released on 2023-12-31 - over a year ago.
>
> 45mg (2):
>   gnu: ffmpeg-7: Update to 7.1.1.
>   gnu: mpv: Use ffmpeg-7.
(ignore the second patch, its inclusion doesn't really make any sense
tbh)

It would, of course, cause a lot of rebuilds, and I don't really know
how we handle that issue (maybe apply it to core-updates?).

I didn't get a response there; probably in large part because nobody
even got X-Debbugs-CC'ed for that patch series. So I thought I'd
reiterate my original points for a wider audience here:

> ffmpeg-7 is currently FFmpeg 7.0.2, which was released on 2024-08-03 -
> 7 months ago. It's probably time for an update.

> When are we planning to make ffmpeg-7 the default ffmpeg? The current
> default (6.1.1) was released on 2023-12-31 - over a year ago.

[1] https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]/