Subject: bug#76739: 31.0.50; Register previews cannot be disabled

From: Rudolf Adamkovič <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2025 19:16:34 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Perhaps "non-empty registers" instead of "registers that have values"?
>
> Is it really better?  Someone might think, for example, that a
> register whose value is an empty string could be considered "empty".
> We don't use the word "empty" anywhere in the "Registers" node of the
> Emacs manual.  Doc strings do use that, though.  So maybe do both:
>
>   Whether register commands should show preview of registers with
>   non-nil values.

Good point!  I apologize for not consulting the manual first.  Thanks
for the guidance!  Let me try again.  The manual says:

  All of the commands that prompt for a register will by default display
  a preview window that lists the existing registers (if there are any)
  and their current values, after a short delay.

  [Later, the manual also says "show" instead of "display".]

To match the existing terminology, we could say:

  Whether register commands show preview of current register values.

Not sure if we need "should"; feel free to re-add it:

  Whether register commands [should] <display|show> preview ...

Rudy
-- 
"The introduction of suitable abstractions is our only mental aid to
organize and master complexity."
--- Edsger Wybe Dijkstra, 1930-2002

Rudolf Adamkovič <[email-masked]> [he/him]
http://adamkovic.org