Subject: 31.0.50; The line numbers take more space than they need

From: the_wurfkreuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2025 06:31:00 +0000

When using the line-numbers mode, the line numbers start to take an
additional space from a buffer way before the line count reaches 3
digit numbers.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Evaluate:

(global-display-line-numbers-mode 1)
(setq display-line-numbers 'visual
display-line-numbers-type 'relative)

(fringe-mode '(1 . 1))

2. Then create new lines in the same buffer using the newline
command. In my case i get an additional space on a 38th line already.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.43, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2025-02-19 built on ub-void
Repository revision: b568ff418ce7147c27d7f82fe4a8eef325b9de2c
Repository branch: HEAD
System Description: Void Linux

Configured using:
'configure --with-native-compilation=aot --with-tree-sitter --with-gif
--with-png --with-jpeg --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-imagemagick
--with-pgtk --with-mailutils CC=/usr/bin/gcc CXX=/usr/bin/gcc'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ IMAGEMAGICK JPEG
LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP
XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LC_COLLATE: C
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
windmove-mode: t
savehist-mode: t
meow-global-mode: t
meow-mode: t
meow-normal-mode: t
meow-esc-mode: t
envrc-global-mode: t
envrc-mode: t
buffer-terminator-mode: t
global-git-commit-mode: t
magit-auto-revert-mode: t
marginalia-mode: t
vertico-mode: t
corfu-popupinfo-mode: t
corfu-history-mode: t
corfu-echo-mode: t
global-corfu-mode: t
corfu-mode: t
which-key-mode: t
undo-fu-session-global-mode: t
undo-fu-session-mode: t
global-treesit-auto-mode: t
global-auto-revert-mode: t
save-place-mode: t
electric-pair-mode: t
recentf-mode: t
global-display-line-numbers-mode: t
display-line-numbers-mode: t
override-global-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tab-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
indent-tabs-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/wurfkreuz/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20250108.1351/transient hides /usr/local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug face-remap ido shortdoc misearch
multi-isearch pulse windmove cus-start help-fns radix-tree tramp-cmds
em-unix em-term term disp-table ehelp em-script em-prompt em-pred em-ls
em-hist em-glob em-extpipe em-cmpl em-dirs em-basic em-banner em-alias
em-elecslash esh-mode esh-var dired-aux org-appear image-file
image-converter oc-basic ol-eww eww vtable mule-util url-queue mm-url
ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku
url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader range ol-docview doc-view image-mode
exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi python vc-git
vc-dispatcher jka-compr raku-detect savehist f eshell em-tramp esh-cmd
esh-ext esh-proc esh-opt esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-module-loaddefs
esh-util meow meow-tutor meow-cheatsheet meow-cheatsheet-layout
meow-core meow-shims meow-esc meow-command array meow-thing meow-visual
meow-keypad meow-beacon meow-helpers meow-util meow-keymap meow-face
meow-var delsel org-tempo tempo org-drill persist org-agenda embark-org
org-element org-persist org-id org-refile org-element-ast inline
avl-tree org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces
org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol
org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-version org-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs org-compat org-macs eglot external-completion
jsonrpc xref ert ewoc debug backtrace kdl-mode generic markdown-mode
color nix-mode nix-repl nix-shell nix-store nix-log nix-instantiate
nix-shebang nix-format nix yaml-mode dockerfile-mode terraform-mode
noutline outline hcl-mode lua-mode perl-mode flymake envrc inheritenv
buffer-terminator transpose-frame magit-bookmark magit-submodule
magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull
magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence
magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch
magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos
magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff git-commit
log-edit message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived
epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log magit-core
magit-autorevert magit-margin magit-transient magit-process magit-mode
benchmark magit-git magit-base magit-section cursor-sensor crm
smerge-mode diff-mode track-changes diff hydra lv with-editor server
embark-consult embark ffap thingatpt consult bookmark marginalia vertico
project cape corfu-popupinfo corfu-history corfu-echo corfu orderless
tempel-collection tempel wgrep grep compile text-property-search
which-key docker docker-context docker-volume docker-network
docker-image docker-container docker-faces docker-core docker-compose
docker-process docker-utils tablist advice tablist-filter
semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex
semantic/fw mode-local find-func cedet dired dired-loaddefs docker-group
transient edmacro kmacro compat dash aio generator s goto-chg
undo-fu-session undo-fu zig-ts-mode clojure-ts-mode treesit-auto
crontab-mode sh-script smie treesit executable rose-pine-theme cus-edit
pp cus-load midnight autorevert filenotify saveplace tramp-cache
time-stamp tramp-sh tramp trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-message tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint ansi-osc ring
parse-time iso8601 time-date format-spec ansi-color tramp-loaddefs
desktop frameset elec-pair recentf tree-widget wid-edit comp comp-cstr
warnings comp-run comp-common display-line-numbers cl-extra help-mode
use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core finder-inf
annalist-autoloads buffer-terminator-autoloads cape-autoloads
clojure-ts-mode-autoloads corfu-autoloads crontab-mode-autoloads
cursor-undo-autoloads docker-autoloads aio-autoloads
dockerfile-mode-autoloads embark-consult-autoloads consult-autoloads
embark-autoloads envrc-autoloads f-autoloads go-mode-autoloads
goto-chg-autoloads haskell-mode-autoloads hydra-autoloads
inheritenv-autoloads lua-mode-autoloads lv-autoloads magit-autoloads
pcase marginalia-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads meow-autoloads
nix-mode-autoloads magit-section-autoloads orderless-autoloads
org-appear-autoloads org-drill-autoloads persist-autoloads
queue-autoloads raku-mode-autoloads rx s-autoloads tablist-autoloads
tempel-collection-autoloads tempel-autoloads terraform-mode-autoloads
dash-autoloads hcl-mode-autoloads transient-autoloads
transpose-frame-autoloads treesit-auto-autoloads undo-fu-autoloads
undo-fu-session-autoloads vertico-autoloads wgrep-autoloads info
with-editor-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads zig-ts-mode-autoloads package
browse-url xdg url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win touch-screen pgtk-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk
lcms2 multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process tty-child-frames
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1020202 193596) (symbols 48 53352 11) (strings 32 257404 62454)
(string-bytes 1 8166769) (vectors 16 99053) (vector-slots 8 1933532 133075)
(floats 8 827 2083) (intervals 56 12099 2590) (buffers 992 28))