Subject: bug#76732: 30.1; image-dired fails with files with only open bracket

From: Sanel Zukan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2025 05:29:57 +0100

Hi,

When image-dired is run on folder where at least one file has open
bracket ('[') in it's name, without closing bracket, it will fail with
this stacktrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (invalid-regexp "Unmatched [ or [^")
  search-forward-regexp("^/home/user/ooo/[img.png" nil t)
  image-dired-list-tags("/home/user/ooo/[img.png")
  image-dired-insert-thumbnail("/home/user/.emacs.d/image-dired/7099b45a60beaf2cdfa5d644d7cc5ad99d915ca0.jpg" "/home/user/ooo/[img.png" #<buffer ooo>)
  image-dired-display-thumbs()
  image-dired("~/ooo/")
  funcall-interactively(image-dired "~/ooo/")
  call-interactively(image-dired record nil)
  command-execute(image-dired record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "image-dired" nil)
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "image-dired" nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)

To reproduce it:

 1. Start Emacs with "emacs -Q"
 2. Create temporary folder and copy one png file to it and rename it to
 '[img.png'.
 3. Try to open that folder with image-dired. You should get stacktrace
 as above.

It will fail also with files like 'im[g.png' but not with files with
only closed bracket. E.g. this works: ']img.png' or 'im]g.png'.

Emacs details:

In GNU Emacs 30.1 (build 1, x86_64-slackware-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.31, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2025-02-26 built on
 z-mp.slackware.lan
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12014000
System Description: Slackware 15.0 x86_64

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
 --program-prefix= --program-suffix= --mandir=/usr/man
 --infodir=/usr/info --without-gconf --without-gsettings --with-modules
 --with-x --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-pdumper=auto
 --without-native-compilation --build=x86_64-slackware-linux 'CFLAGS=-O2
 -fPIC''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM HARFBUZZ JPEG LCMS2
LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x
multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 38651 9082) (symbols 48 5368 0) (strings 32 12518 2548)
 (string-bytes 1 300947) (vectors 16 9239)
 (vector-slots 8 109765 4279) (floats 8 21 3) (intervals 56 244 3)
 (buffers 984 10))

Best,
Sanel