Subject: Re: bug#76700: 31.0.50; find-func.el: incorrect use of minor mode

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2025 14:07:18 +0800

Hello Madhu, Eshel,

A couple of preliminaries:

(1) Madhu, you make various claims about how you think a minor mode must
    work, but I don't believe you are correct.
    There aren't hard rules in this area, as you seem to think.

(2) Your comments don't cover the actual reasons why I made this change.
    These were, primarily,
    (i)     so that the bindings can be toggled on and off, not just
            turned on
    (ii)    so that the bindings can be turned on and off using the
            customization interface, instead of by manually calling a
            particular function; and
    (iii)   for most people, standard minor mode bindings (i.e. the
            original version of the patch before Eshel commented) are
            more useful.

I think, though, that everyone can have what they want.  I propose to
add a new defcustom which can be used to switch between my original
version of the patch and the one after Eshel's requested changes.

Eshel -- I would like the default to be my original version of the
patch, so you would need to toggle a defcustom.  This is because I think
your workflow is probably the more unusual one.

Let me know how this sounds.

-- 
Sean Whitton