Subject: bug#76697: gdk-pixbuf GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILES search path breaks some packages

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2025 09:36:31 +0900

Hi Morgan,

Morgan Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

> I tried to reopen this bug instead of making a new one but I guess it's
> archived or something? bug#75795

Yes, after a while issues get archived and become comment-only.  There's
an 'unarchive' action for Debbugs along a 'reopen', which can be used
like so at the top of the email body, making sure to cc 'GNU Debbugs
<[email-masked]>' to act on it:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
unarchive 75697
reopen 75697
quit
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

> Changing the search-path-specification of gdk-pixbuf has broken the
> build of transmission as this phase now errors out:
>
> =========
> (wrap-program (string-append #$output:gui "/bin/transmission-gtk")
>   ;; Wrapping GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE allows Transmission to load
>   ;; its own icons in pure environments.
>   `("GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE" =
>     (,(getenv "GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE"))))
> =========
>
> Doing a quick search it looks like there at least 10 packages that need
> to be adjusted

Thanks for reporting that.  So could the adjustments needed simply be
made with just:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
git grep -l GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE |
  xargs sed 's/GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE/s/GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILES/' -i
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

?

-- 
Maxim