Subject: Re: bug#76691: `display-monitor-attributes-list` not working properly on macOS

From: Ship Mints <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2025 11:33:44 -0500

On Tue, Mar 4, 2025 at 11:06 AM Ship Mints <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 4, 2025 at 10:59 AM Ship Mints <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 4, 2025 at 10:34 AM Robert Pluim <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>>> It gives me reasonable looking names here:
>>>
>>> (((name . "PL3467WQ") (geometry 0 0 3440 1440) (workarea 0 25 3440
>>> 1415) (mm-size 801 329) (frames #<frame *scratch* 0x131887028>)
>>> (source . "NS")) ((name . "Built-in Display") (geometry 459 1440 2048
>>> 1332) (workarea 459 1440 2048 1287) (mm-size 290 189) (frames) (source
>>> . "NS")))
>>>
>>
>> Robert,
>>
>> When you run (x-display-list), what do you get? Just your host name,
>> right? And if you unplug and replug your monitors and rerun?
>>
>
> And also (display-monitor-attributes-list) just to make sure it works with
> comings and goings of displays.
>

This thread from 2019 (Robert and Juri were there) seems to have hashed out
some of the monitor naming, both natural (reported), and synthetic.  Being
able to restore multi-monitor framesets seems a good use case but I wonder
how many macOS users would really use it and how much we should fuss to
strive to make monitor names as static as possible.  One issue would be
restoring a frameset with a different second or third monitor that reports
a different natural name, or with different smaller or larger geometry than
the record stored in the frameset.  Maybe some sort of monitor aliases akin
to the DISPLAY1 DISPLAY2 idea but which would associate with whatever the
currently reported displays are in sequential order, where DISPLAY1 is
always the "main" display.

https://lists.gnu.org/r/bug-gnu-emacs/2019-02/msg00526.html

-Stephane