Subject: [bug#76690] [PATCH emacs-team 0/4] Emacs build fixes + enable native comp by default?

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2025 09:14:32 +0900

Hi Morgan,

Morgan Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

Thanks for working on this!

[...]

> 2. Maybe involves a discussion.  Upstream has enabled native compilation by
> default so it'd be nice for us to do the same.  However, this bumps the
> closure size of emacs-minimal up by 500MiB which is substantial.  It also
> increases compile time of both emacs-minimal and now all emacs packages
> substantially.

I think following the default behavior makes most sense here; otherwise
we'll have many users wondering why it's not enabled by default and how
to do so.

The time to build packages is not a big concern.  As for the size of
emacs-minimal; that's a bit unfortunate, but one could argue that
'emacs-minimal' is an oxymoron to start with ;-).

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim