Subject: Re: [bug#76690] [PATCH 2/4] gnu: emacs-minimal: Enable native compilations

From: Morgan Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2025 16:51:42 -0500

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:

> Am Sonntag, dem 02.03.2025 um 16:04 -0500 schrieb Morgan Smith:
>> * gnu/packages/emacs.scm(emacs-no-x): Move native compilation
>> settings from
>> here to ...
>> (emacs-minimal): ... here.
>> 
>> Change-Id: Ib549f0e7435cab0c891bb8d6cec9b1af041ab7c4
>> ---
> Note: enabling native compilation for emacs-minimal will likely not do
> what you think it does.  Unless you use emacs-minimal itself as your
> emacs (rather than e.g. emacs-no-x), you will not see any benefit from
> this patch.

emacs-minimal is the default-emacs in the emacs-build-system.
Currently, we disable native-compilation of loaded elisp because we want
to use the ahead-of-time native compilation that occurs when building a
package.  However, if we don't build our packages with an emacs that
supports native compilation, then we are effectively disabling the
native compliation feature for all packages.

> Cheers