Subject: [bug#76690] [PATCH emacs-team 0/4] Emacs build fixes + enable native comp by default?

From: Morgan Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2025 15:52:34 -0500

I got a couple fixes here:

1. simple fix.  plz apply

2. Maybe involves a discussion.  Upstream has enabled native compilation by
default so it'd be nice for us to do the same.  However, this bumps the
closure size of emacs-minimal up by 500MiB which is substantial.  It also
increases compile time of both emacs-minimal and now all emacs packages
substantially.

Note: You can install the other 3 patches and just leave this one out for now
if you'd like.

3 and 4. We have many packages (like emacs-stgit) that have a 'chdir' phase.
This messes with the emacs build system so those packages don't have their
autoloads generated, a description generated, the load path stuff is messed
up, and native compilation files get installed into the wrong directories.

Morgan Smith (4):
  gnu: emacs->emacs-next: Don't use file that doesn't exist
  gnu: emacs-minimal: Enable native compilations
  guix: emacs-build-system: Add 'lisp-directory' key
  Use #:lisp-directory instead of a custom phase

 gnu/packages/agda.scm             |   5 +-
 gnu/packages/cmake.scm            |   7 +-
 gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm        | 144 ++++++++--------------------
 gnu/packages/emacs.scm            | 153 +++++++++++++-----------------
 gnu/packages/engineering.scm      |   8 +-
 gnu/packages/erlang.scm           |   5 +-
 gnu/packages/mail.scm             |   6 +-
 gnu/packages/music.scm            |   5 +-
 gnu/packages/protobuf.scm         |   5 +-
 gnu/packages/scheme.scm           |   5 +-
 gnu/packages/version-control.scm  |   4 +-
 guix/build-system/emacs.scm       |   2 +
 guix/build/emacs-build-system.scm |   6 +-
 13 files changed, 120 insertions(+), 235 deletions(-)

base-commit: 725917beddf8454f92d01de7a3cfcc283100f43b
-- 
2.48.1