Subject: [bug#76688] [PATCH] services: network-manager: Handle existing configuration directory.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2025 19:29:16 +0900

Hi Vagrant,

Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> I hit this bug as well, and it actually caused a boot failure, had to
> boot to an older generation to get things working again!
>
> Have not yet tried the patch, though it looks like it should fix this
> exact problem...
>
> But... I am wondering if it wouldn't be more elegant to avoid using
> /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d entirely, instead call NetworkManager
> pointing the --config-dir arguments directly at the relevent store
> directory, much like the configuration is passed using the --config
> argument. That way there would be no leftovers between different system
> generations...

The thing is that NetworkManager, among other tools, make use of inotify
to monitor configuration changes, which is very useful as it avoids the
user having to restart the daemon or worst, reboot to have the changes
effected post a reconfiguration.  On such example was udev; see commit
e9fa17eb98efbd6211ab44ab49b8c078d4b73e04 that changed it from using a
store value for its config file to a /etc/udev/rules.d fixed location.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim