Subject: Re: bug#76687: global-hi-lock-mode prompts on its own help

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2025 17:37:57 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2025 06:54:56 -0800
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Again, I find no reasons to exclude special-mode.  People may wish to
> > highlight a regexp everywhere.
> 
> That's true.  The issue is that `hi-lock-exclude-modes' disables all
> highlighting, even when manually added.  That is undesirable, I agree.
> 
> This suggests that we need a more fine-grained control that disables
> only the "Hi-lock:" pattern handling (i.e. only the unsafe part).

Yes, and only in a *Help* buffer that shows this hi-lock variable
itself.  Maybe we should format the example in some very special way
or something like that.