Subject: Re: bug#7667: Emacs info: function toggle-debug-on-quit is not documented

From: Jari Aalto <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 11:10:22 +0200

2010-12-21 09:03 Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>:
| Jari Aalto <[email-masked]> writes:
| 
| > Function toggle-debug-on-quit is not documented in Emacs info
| > page. Please add it to file:
| >
| >     doc/emacs/trouble.texi
| 
| It's documented in the Lisp manual, and mentioned in the Emacs manual in
| the node "Bugs" > "Checklist".  Since this command is mostly useful for
| Lisp debugging and programming, the documentation belongs in the Lisp
| manual.

The doc/emacs/trouble.texi documents:

@chapter Dealing with Common Problems

    @findex toggle-debug-on-error
    @pindex Edebug
    To make a backtrace for the error, use @kbd{M-x toggle-debug-on-error}
    before the error happens (that is to say, you must give that command
    and then make the bug happen).  This causes the error to start the Lisp
    debugger, which shows you a backtrace.  Copy the text of the
    debugger's backtrace into the bug report.  @xref{Debugger,, The Lisp
    Debugger, elisp, the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual}, for information on
    debugging Emacs Lisp programs with the Edebug package.

    This use of the debugger is possible only if you know how to make the
    bug happen again.  If you can't make it happen again, at least copy
    the whole error message.

The toggle-debug-on-quit is comparable.

It would be awkward not to be able to find it with "s" search command; that
you would need to switch to entirely another info manual to see the
function.

Jari