Subject: bug#76660: current guix pull doesn't authenticate

From: Tomas Volf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2025 22:01:02 +0100

Simon Tournier <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Ludo,
>
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2025 at 22:57, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Simon Tournier <[email-masked]> skribis:
>>
>>> Last cherry on the top, from [1], the implementation relying on “git
>>> merge-base --is-ancestor” is 35x faster.
>>
>> Uh, interesting!  I would still like to avoid shelling out to Git for
>> common operations, but this comparison shows there’s a lot of room to
>> improve the performance of the current implementation.
>
> You mean the current implementation of ligbit2, right?  Because, from my
> poor understanding, it’s part of the performance barrier.

There is git_graph_descendant_of function in libgit2, but it is not
exposed by the guile-git binding.  Maybe we could try to use it to
implement the check instead the current approach (which does it in
Guile).  I wonder how well that would perform compared to --is-ancestor.

Tomas

-- 
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.