Subject: Re: bug#76660: current guix pull doesn't authenticate

From: Tomas Volf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2025 00:38:20 +0100

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 09, 2025 at 10:33:45AM +0100, Tomas Volf wrote:
>> I think it could be influenced by the commit you are currently on, and
>> the commit you are pulling as latest.  So depending on time of previous
>> and current pull, it might work or it might not work.  I assume that
>> limits the amount of affected people.
>
> Yes, it might or might not work. Some of us can pull from the "bad
> commit", and some of us can't:
>
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/76660#6
>
> So, either we don't understand all the conditions that trigger this bug,
> or it's not deterministic. But we should work to get the fix into
> guile-git.

There is nothing to fix in guile-git, the fix needs to go into (guix
git).  The libgit2 (which guile-git is wrapping) simply does not
guarantee that two gets of the same commit hash will return identical
pointer.  So I believe (guix git) is in the wrong here for using eq?.

Well, I guess guile-git could go beyond what libgit2 promises, and
introduce its own caching layer, but I am not sure that is the correct
course of action.  But its up to Ludo' of course.

Tomas

-- 
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.