Subject: Re: bug#7665: Emacs: add command line option -L to set more paths to

From: Jari Aalto <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 09:49:53 +0300

Stefan Monnier <monnier <at> iro.umontreal.ca>:
> > To test third party packages that depends on other 3rd party
> > libraries.  Not all packages have autoloads files.
>
> That's a good opportunity to fix them.

Many packages are single source. They do not ship Makefiles or
*-autoloads.el. An example:

    Developer Joe publishes A

    Developer Mike publishes B, but uses A's package. To avoid troubles he
    bundes A in his archive.

    Later Developr A publishes new version. But B does not update his copy.

Elsewhere

    Zoe wants to use latest A and latest B, so he does downloads both from
    version control trees. He intends to test to see if B still works with
    latest A:

    emacs -L /patch/to/A -l A -l path/to/B -l B

The -L option would be helpful in combining code from differe directories.

Jari