Subject: bug#7664: sql.el: In interactive sql-<product> command, Add C-u to set connection port

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 14:59:40 +0800

Jari Aalto <[email-masked]> writes:

> In production environments the database servers run in multiple ports,
> like
>
>     M-x sql-mysql
>
> It would be nice to be able to specify PORT number during interactive
> call, like:
>
>     C-u M-x sql-mysql
>     ...
>     Port: .....

Michael, could you take a look at this wishlist item?  Currently,
sql-mysql already uses a prefix argument to output into a new buffer.
If you decide this suggestion is worth implementing, there are a couple
of possibilities: (i) add another interactive command that prompts for a
port number, or (ii) change the interactive spec so that a prefix arg
prompts the user about whether to use a new buffer and what port to use.
I don't use sql.el, so I don't know which makes more sense.