Subject: TeX-output-extension is not set to "pdf" when using LaTeXMk+xelatex+TeX-PDF-mode

From: Tianshu Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2025 11:11:57 +0800

The TeX-output-extension is set to "xdv" (in TeX-TeX-sentinel-check) even
if TeX-PDF-Mode is enabled when using LaTeXMk command and xetex TeX-engine.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 30.1 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin24.3.0, NS appkit-2575.40 Version 15.3.1 (Build 24D70))
 of 2025-02-24
Package: 14.0.8

current state:
==============
(setq
 window-system 'ns
 LaTeX-version "2e"
 TeX-style-path '("~/.config/emacs/auctex/"
                  "/Users/wangtianshu/.config/emacs/straight/build/30.1/auctex/style"
                  "/Users/wangtianshu/.config/emacs/auctex/auto"
                  "/Users/wangtianshu/.config/emacs/auctex/style" "auto" "style")
 TeX-auto-save nil
 TeX-parse-self t
 TeX-master nil
 TeX-command-list '(("TeX"
                     "%(PDF)%(tex) %(file-line-error) %`%(extraopts) %S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %(output-dir) %t"
                     TeX-run-TeX nil (plain-TeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode) :help "Run plain TeX")
                    ("LaTeX" "%`%l%(mode)%' %T" TeX-run-TeX nil (LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode) :help
                     "Run LaTeX")
                    ("Makeinfo" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %(o-dir) %t" TeX-run-compile nil
                     (Texinfo-mode) :help "Run Makeinfo with Info output")
                    ("Makeinfo HTML" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %(o-dir) --html %t" TeX-run-compile nil
                     (Texinfo-mode) :help "Run Makeinfo with HTML output")
                    ("AmSTeX" "amstex %(PDFout) %`%(extraopts) %S%(mode)%' %(output-dir) %t"
                     TeX-run-TeX nil (AmSTeX-mode) :help "Run AMSTeX")
                    ("ConTeXt" "%(cntxcom) --once %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t" TeX-run-TeX nil
                     (ConTeXt-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt once")
                    ("ConTeXt Full" "%(cntxcom) %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t" TeX-run-TeX nil
                     (ConTeXt-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt until completion")
                    ("BibTeX" "bibtex %(O?aux)" TeX-run-BibTeX nil
                     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode ConTeXt-mode)
                     :help "Run BibTeX")
                    ("Biber" "biber %(output-dir) %s" TeX-run-Biber nil
                     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Run Biber")
                    ("Texindex" "texindex %s.??" TeX-run-command nil (Texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Run Texindex")
                    ("Texi2dvi" "%(PDF)texi2dvi %t" TeX-run-command nil (Texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Run Texi2dvi or Texi2pdf")
                    ("View" "%V" TeX-run-discard-or-function t t :help "Run Viewer")
                    ("Print" "%p" TeX-run-command t t :help "Print the file")
                    ("Queue" "%q" TeX-run-background nil t :help "View the printer queue" :visible
                     TeX-queue-command)
                    ("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips t
                     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Generate PostScript file")
                    ("Dvips" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips nil
                     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Convert DVI file to PostScript")
                    ("Dvipdfmx" "dvipdfmx -o %(O?pdf) %d" TeX-run-dvipdfmx nil
                     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Convert DVI file to PDF with dvipdfmx")
                    ("Ps2pdf" "ps2pdf %f %(O?pdf)" TeX-run-ps2pdf nil
                     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Convert PostScript file to PDF")
                    ("LaTeXMk"
                     "latexmk %(latexmk-out) %(file-line-error) %(output-dir) %`%(extraopts) %S%(mode)%' %t"
                     TeX-run-TeX nil (LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode) :help "Run LaTeXMk")
                    ("Glossaries" "makeglossaries %(d-dir) %s" TeX-run-command nil
                     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Run makeglossaries to create glossary file")
                    ("Index" "makeindex %(O?idx)" TeX-run-index nil
                     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Run makeindex to create index file")
                    ("upMendex" "upmendex %(O?idx)" TeX-run-index t
                     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Run upmendex to create index file")
                    ("Xindy" "texindy %s" TeX-run-command nil
                     (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Run xindy to create index file")
                    ("Check" "lacheck %s" TeX-run-compile nil (LaTeX-mode) :help
                     "Check LaTeX file for correctness")
                    ("ChkTeX" "chktex -v6 %s" TeX-run-compile nil (LaTeX-mode) :help
                     "Check LaTeX file for common mistakes")
                    ("Spell" "(TeX-ispell-document \"\")" TeX-run-function nil t :help
                     "Spell-check the document")
                    ("Clean" "TeX-clean" TeX-run-function nil t :help
                     "Delete generated intermediate files")
                    ("Clean All" "(TeX-clean t)" TeX-run-function nil t :help
                     "Delete generated intermediate and output files")
                    ("Other" "" TeX-run-command t t :help "Run an arbitrary command"))
 )