Subject: Re: [PATCH] gnu: home: services: Add 'wayland-display' service.

From: Hilton Chain <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2025 19:59:38 +0800

Sören Tempel <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I was just looking into having my wayland-dependent services supervised
> by the Shepherd and come across this issue.
>
> Hilton Chain <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Currently to have a fully-functional setup, you'll need to disable
>> auto starting of ‘home-shepherd-service-type’ and start Shepherd via
>> Wayland compositor to have all needed environment variables passed to
>> Shepherd.
>
> Is that still the best way to achieve this? If so: How do I do that? Of
> cause I can patch home-shepherd-service-type in the monorepo and change
> the default value of the `auto-start?` property, but is there a better
> way which doesn't require me doing that? Should we maybe also document
> this in the manual?

You can add 'home-shepherd-service-type' service and configure it, its
configuration is actually documented[1].

I have described my setup in [2].  To document it, I think we need to find a
reliable way to start Shepherd first.

Thanks

[1]: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Shepherd-Home-Service.html
[2]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2025-06/msg00285.html