Subject: bug#76617: completing-read should accept spaces in require-match nil mode

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2025 17:39:58 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > > Perhaps SPC and ? should self-insert when they do not extend the
  > > completion text at all.  Would that behavior be convenient?

  > Only when require-match is nil, IMHO.

To self-insert when REQUIRE-MATCH is nil seems like a good idea.

What about with other values of REQUIRE-MATCH, in the case where
adding the character would result in a match match something in the
completion list?

For instance, if the minibuffer contains `foo' and `foo?' is one
of the completions, them typing ? twice could insert ?

And something similar for SPC.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)