Subject: [PATCH 0/2] gnu: librewolf: Allow installation of unsigned extensions.

From: Mike Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2025 18:51:01 +0000

The librewolf package does not allow extensions to be installed unless
they are signed by Mozilla's key. Even though there is an about:config
option "xpinstall.signatures.required", setting this to false still
doesn't allow it. It turns out that one needs to compile librewolf with
the option MOZ_REQUIRE_SIGNING= to permit this.

I hope you'll agree that forbidding users from running software on their
own machines is not in the spirit of free software. While there may be
security advantages to enforcing signing (if you trust Mozilla), it can
still be enabled with the aforementioned about:config option, even when
compiled using this new option.

For what it's worth, upstream librewolf sets this option in their
default mozconfig:

https://codeberg.org/librewolf/source/src/commit/9478c8a016460d883ee050f90a4c4410d210bb91/assets/mozconfig.new#L24

This series also includes a patch to fix some missing newlines which I
found while testing it.

Mike Jones (2):
  gnu: librewolf: Fix missing newlines when generating mozconfig.
  gnu: librewolf: Allow installation of unsigned extensions.

 gnu/packages/librewolf.scm | 5 +++--
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

base-commit: f1810c84f72090b02544ac41d0582c4785728ec4
-- 
2.48.1