Subject: Re: [bug#76616] [PATCH 0/2] gnu: librewolf: Allow installation of unsigned extensions.

From: "Mike Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2025 08:46:22 +0000

On Fri, 28 Feb 2025, at 5:09 AM, Ian Eure wrote:
> I definitely agree that unsigned extensions should be allowed.  Do 
> you have an example of one I could use for testing?

You can build one with

  guix shell -C -N nss-certs bash node git -- \
    bash -c 'git clone https://github.com/darkreader/darkreader.git \
    && cd darkreader && npm i && npm run build:firefox'

and it will be at darkreader/build/release/darkreader-firefox.xpi

> Thanks for pointing this out and sending a patch.  I think it’d be 
> best if we used their config with just the Guix-specific changes 
> added, like --prefix.  This has some important stuff, and it’d be 
> better to let upstream handle that than risk missing something 
> because the Guix config has drifted out of sync.
>
> Would you be willing to contribute a patch which does that?  If 
> not, that’s no problem, I’m working on the patches for 135.0.1 
> already, and could do that at the same time.

Sure, I can try that this weekend, but if it takes me too long, feel
free to do it :)

On Fri, 28 Feb 2025, at 6:00 AM, Hilton Chain wrote:
> Unsigned extensions are allowed.  Some extensions are packaged in
> (gnu packages browser-extensions), which are unsigned.
>
> In case you didn't know, packaged extensions can be used by installing them to
> the same profile of librewolf.  e.g.
> $ guix shell librewolf adaptive-tab-bar-colour-icecat -- librewolf

Thanks, I didn't know about that! It seems to only allow ones in
$ICECAT_SYSTEM_DIR - if you build your own outside of a Guix package, it
won't let you install it, saying "This addon could not be installed
because it has not been verified". Even overriding ICECAT_SYSTEM_DIR to
point to a directory containing my locally-built extension doesn't
work, so I guess there is some other condition.

I think it's still useful to have this option, in case someone wants to
build and install an extension that's not packaged in Guix yet. What do
you think? I can try Ian's suggestion of using the upstream mozconfig as
a base which would give us this as a side-effect.