Subject: 30.1; multi-file-replace-regexp-as-diff won't end prompting with icomplete-show-matches-on-no-input

From: Rahul Martim Juliato <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2025 20:13:58 -0300

Starting with `emacs -Q`, eval this:

```emacs-lisp
(use-package icomplete
  :bind (:map icomplete-minibuffer-map
              ("C-n" . icomplete-forward-completions)
              ("C-p" . icomplete-backward-completions)
              ("C-v" . icomplete-vertical-toggle)
              ("RET" . icomplete-force-complete-and-exit))
  :config
  (setq icomplete-show-matches-on-no-input t))

(icomplete-vertical-mode 1)
```

Now run `M-x multi-file-replace-regexp-as-diff RET`.

Select one file.

Select another file.

Try to end the selection with RET.

If `icomplete-show-matches-on-no-input` equals t, it seems impossible to
finalize the selection since a list is still displayed in the
minibuffer.

In GNU Emacs 30.1 (build 2, aarch64-apple-darwin24.3.0, NS
 appkit-2575.40 Version 15.3.1 (Build 24D70)) of 2025-02-26 built on
 MacBook-Pro.local
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2575
System Description:  macOS 15.3.1

Configured using:
 'configure --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-silent-rules
 --enable-locallisppath=/opt/homebrew/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --infodir=/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@30/30.1/share/info/emacs
 --prefix=/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@30/30.1
 --with-native-compilation=aot --with-xml2 --with-gnutls
 --without-compress-install --without-dbus --with-imagemagick
 --with-modules --with-rsvg --with-webp --without-pop --with-xwidgets
 --with-ns --disable-ns-self-contained 'CFLAGS=-O2 -DFD_SETSIZE=10000
 -DDARWIN_UNLIMITED_SELECT -I/opt/homebrew/opt/sqlite/include
 -I/opt/homebrew/opt/gcc/include -I/opt/homebrew/opt/libgccjit/include'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/opt/homebrew/opt/sqlite/lib -L/opt/homebrew/lib/gcc/14
 -I/opt/homebrew/opt/gcc/include -I/opt/homebrew/opt/libgccjit/include''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS IMAGEMAGICK JPEG LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM XWIDGETS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  emms-mode-line-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-display-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-mode: t
  diff-hl-margin-mode: t
  diff-hl-flydiff-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  treemacs-project-follow-mode: t
  treemacs-filewatch-mode: t
  treemacs-follow-mode: t
  treemacs-git-mode: t
  treemacs-fringe-indicator-mode: t
  olivetti-mode: t
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  global-treesit-auto-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  global-evil-collection-unimpaired-mode: t
  evil-collection-unimpaired-mode: t
  global-evil-matchit-mode: t
  evil-matchit-mode: t
  global-evil-surround-mode: t
  evil-surround-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  pulsar-global-mode: t
  pulsar-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  persp-mode-project-bridge-mode: t
  persp-mode: t
  global-ligature-mode: t
  ligature-mode: t
  nerd-icons-completion-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  corfu-popupinfo-mode: t
  global-corfu-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/rmj/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20250222.1912/transient hides /opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@30/30.1/share/emacs/30.1/lisp/transient
/Users/rmj/.emacs.d/elpa/modus-themes-20250220.647/theme-loaddefs hides /opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@30/30.1/share/emacs/30.1/lisp/theme-loaddefs

Features:
(evil-digraphs shadow emacsbug mailalias smtpmail treesit-er-expansions
expand-region text-mode-expansions er-basic-expansions
expand-region-core expand-region-custom nerd-icons-corfu ispell
tempel-collection tempel help-fns radix-tree evil-collection-emms
emms-idapi-browser emms-idapi emms-idapi-musicbrainz emms-mpris
emms-librefm-stream emms-librefm-scrobbler emms-playlist-limit emms-i18n
emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info emms-metaplaylist-mode
emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon emms-browser emms-volume
emms-volume-sndioctl emms-volume-mixerctl emms-volume-pulse
emms-volume-amixer emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd tq emms-lyrics emms-url emms-streams emms-show-all
emms-tag-editor format-spec emms-tag-tracktag emms-mark emms-mode-line
emms-cache emms-info-native emms-info-native-spc emms-info-native-mp3
emms-info-native-ogg emms-info-native-opus emms-info-native-flac
emms-info-native-vorbis bindat emms-info-exiftool emms-info-tinytag
emms-info-metaflac emms-info-opusinfo emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mpv
emms-playing-time emms-info emms-later-do emms-player-mplayer
emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist emms-source-file locate
emms-setup emms emms-compat evil-collection-wgrep wgrep
evil-collection-diff-hl diff-hl-margin diff-hl-dired diff-hl-flydiff
diff-hl evil-collection-log-view log-view evil-collection-vc-dir vc-dir
ewoc evil-collection-log-edit log-edit pcvs-util add-log vc sort
gnus-cite smiley mm-archive mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping
uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-async gnus-bcklg misearch
multi-isearch treemacs-nerd-icons treemacs-evil
treemacs-project-follow-mode treemacs treemacs-header-line
treemacs-compatibility treemacs-mode treemacs-interface
treemacs-persistence treemacs-filewatch-mode treemacs-follow-mode
treemacs-rendering treemacs-annotations treemacs-async
treemacs-workspaces treemacs-dom treemacs-visuals
treemacs-fringe-indicator treemacs-faces treemacs-icons treemacs-scope
treemacs-themes treemacs-core-utils pfuture inline hl-line ht
treemacs-logging treemacs-customization treemacs-macros s dash qp utf-7
epa-file network-stream nsm gnus-ml disp-table olivetti face-remap
gnus-topic nndraft nnmh nnmaildir evil-collection-vc-git vc-git
evil-collection-diff-mode diff-mode track-changes vc-dispatcher nnnil
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig nntp gnus-cache
gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo
.gnus gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source
utf7 nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
sendmail yank-media puny evil-collection-dired nerd-icons-dired dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec evil-collection-epa epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win
evil-collection-gnus gnus nnheader gnus-util time-date mail-utils range
mm-util mail-prsvr orderless cursor-sensor evil-collection-dashboard
dashboard dashboard-widgets ffap private recentf tree-widget
evil-collection-which-key which-key treesit-auto treesit
evil-collection-vertico vertico evil-collection-unimpaired
evil-collection-tabulated-list evil-collection-tab-bar
evil-collection-so-long evil-collection-simple evil-collection-replace
evil-collection-process-menu evil-collection-package-menu
evil-collection-minibuffer evil-collection-kmacro evil-collection-info
evil-collection-indent evil-collection-ibuffer evil-collection-help
evil-collection-grep evil-collection-elisp-mode evil-collection-eldoc
evil-collection-custom evil-collection-corfu evil-collection-compile
evil-collection-comint evil-collection-buff-menu evil-matchit
evil-matchit-evil-setup evil-matchit-sdk semantic/lex semantic/fw
mode-local find-func evil-surround evil-collection annalist evil
evil-integration evil-maps evil-commands reveal evil-jumps
evil-command-window evil-types evil-search evil-ex evil-macros
evil-repeat evil-states evil-core evil-common thingatpt rect evil-vars
edmacro kmacro pulsar pulse color undo-tree diff queue async-bytecomp
async persp-mode-project-bridge persp-mode exec-path-from-shell ligature
lemacs-init nerd-icons-ibuffer nerd-icons-completion nerd-icons
nerd-icons-faces nerd-icons-data nerd-icons-data-mdicon
nerd-icons-data-flicon nerd-icons-data-codicon nerd-icons-data-devicon
nerd-icons-data-sucicon nerd-icons-data-wicon nerd-icons-data-faicon
nerd-icons-data-powerline nerd-icons-data-octicon
nerd-icons-data-pomicon nerd-icons-data-ipsicon ibuffer-project project
ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs comp comp-cstr cl-extra help-mode
warnings comp-run comp-common rx flymake-eslint marginalia
corfu-popupinfo corfu cape compat server pinentry
modus-vivendi-tinted-theme modus-themes cus-edit pp wid-edit time
bind-key xt-mouse winner savehist saveplace pixel-scroll cua-base
autorevert filenotify desktop frameset so-long delsel grep compile
text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring cus-load
0x0-autoloads add-node-modules-path-autoloads apheleia-autoloads
easy-mmode breadcrumb-autoloads cape-autoloads
catppuccin-theme-autoloads colorful-mode-autoloads corfu-autoloads
dashboard-autoloads diff-hl-autoloads dired-subtree-autoloads
dired-hacks-utils-autoloads diredfl-autoloads docker-autoloads
dockerfile-mode-autoloads doom-modeline-autoloads dotenv-mode-autoloads
eat-autoloads eldoc-box-autoloads elfeed-tube-mpv-autoloads
elfeed-tube-autoloads aio-autoloads elfeed-autoloads ellama-autoloads
embark-consult-autoloads consult-autoloads embark-autoloads
emms-autoloads erc-hl-nicks-autoloads
eshell-syntax-highlighting-autoloads eshell-z-autoloads
evil-collection-autoloads annalist-autoloads evil-matchit-autoloads
evil-surround-autoloads exec-path-from-shell-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads flymake-eslint-autoloads forge-autoloads
closql-autoloads emacsql-autoloads geiser-guile-autoloads
geiser-autoloads gh-md-autoloads ghub-autoloads
git-timemachine-autoloads handlebars-mode-autoloads hl-todo-autoloads
ibuffer-project-autoloads indent-guide-autoloads js-pkg-mode-autoloads
khalel-autoloads kkp-autoloads ligature-autoloads llm-autoloads
lsp-tailwindcss-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads magit-stats-autoloads
marginalia-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads modus-themes-autoloads
mpv-autoloads nerd-icons-completion-autoloads nerd-icons-corfu-autoloads
nerd-icons-dired-autoloads nerd-icons-ibuffer-autoloads
olivetti-autoloads orderless-autoloads org-modern-autoloads
org-ros-autoloads package-lint-autoloads
persp-mode-project-bridge-autoloads persp-mode-autoloads
pinentry-autoloads plz-event-source-autoloads plz-media-type-autoloads
plz-autoloads polymode-autoloads proced-narrow-autoloads
pulsar-autoloads pyvenv-autoloads rainbow-delimiters-autoloads
ready-player-autoloads sass-mode-autoloads haml-mode-autoloads
scss-mode-autoloads shrink-path-autoloads f-autoloads sly-autoloads
smartparens-autoloads spinner-autoloads sudo-edit-autoloads
tablist-autoloads tempel-collection-autoloads tempel-autoloads
transmission-autoloads transpose-frame-autoloads treemacs-evil-autoloads
evil-autoloads goto-chg-autoloads treemacs-icons-dired-autoloads
treemacs-magit-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase transient-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads llama-autoloads treemacs-nerd-icons-autoloads
treemacs-autoloads cfrs-autoloads posframe-autoloads ht-autoloads
hydra-autoloads lv-autoloads pfuture-autoloads ace-window-autoloads
avy-autoloads s-autoloads dash-autoloads nerd-icons-autoloads
treepy-autoloads treesit-auto-autoloads typescript-mode-autoloads
undo-tree-autoloads queue-autoloads vc-msg-autoloads popup-autoloads
vdirel-autoloads helm-autoloads helm-core-autoloads async-autoloads
org-vcard-autoloads verb-autoloads vertico-autoloads web-mode-autoloads
wfnames-autoloads wgrep-autoloads info with-editor-autoloads
xclip-autoloads xterm-color-autoloads yaml-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads
yeetube-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib early-init rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal kqueue cocoa
ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 898098 261400) (symbols 48 37684 79)
 (strings 32 255337 14301) (string-bytes 1 9766625) (vectors 16 72738)
 (vector-slots 8 1751959 295662) (floats 8 1662 2125)
 (intervals 56 5262 1648) (buffers 992 23))