Subject: Re: bug#76595: 29.4; Problem getting RMAIL to detect a change to the value of `rmail-movemail-program'.

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2025 21:33:04 +0200

> Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2025 13:16:38 -0500
> From: <[email-masked]>
> 
> Emacs Maintainers,
> 
>   There is a problem with getting Emacs/Rmail to use the
> Mailutils version of ‘movemail’ if the value of
> ‘rmail-movemail-program’ is set after Rmail has been
> started.

To avoid these complications, either customize rmail-movemail-program
in your init file, so it is already set to the value 'mailutils' when
you start Rmail, or simply remove the version of 'movemail' that came
with Emacs, so that the only 'movemail' Rmail can find is that from
Mailutils.

(If you build your Emacs yourself, you can configure Emacs with the
'--with-mailutils' configure-time option, in which case the Emacs
version of 'movemail' will not be built and will not be installed.)