Subject: Re: bug#7659: emacs - c mode tab space different between windows and linux

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 13:00:46 +0200

> From: Anoj Perera <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 09:59:37 +0000
> 
> Hi many thanks for your reply. Haven't tried the -Q option (without
> loading the .emacs file?).

Please do.  I think you will discover that the display on Ubuntu will
then look exactly like that on Windows.

And please keep [email-masked] on the list of addressees, so
this whole discussion gets recorded in the history of your bug report.

> I've attached a source file coded with
> emacs in linux (Ubuntu 10.04) and a screenshot same file viewed in
> emacs in Windows. You can note the diference, function name and
> arguments are indented little too much.

I see your file exactly like in the screenshot, both on Windows and on
GNU/Linux.  So I think you have some site init file on Ubuntu that
sets certain options related to C indentation.  "emacs -Q" will bypass
the customizations on that file, so you will know this for sure.

If this is indeed the case, you should look at your site init file,
and do the same on Windows.

> I am guessing this is a character encoding issue.

No, character encoding doesn't (and cannot) have anything with
indentation.  It's just that (if my guess is right) on Ubuntu you have
some customizations that you need to have on your Windows .emacs, and
then you will see the same display.