Subject: bug#76586: closed (Re: bug#76586: 30.1; Question regarding eln-cache)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2025 08:17:02 +0000

Your bug report

#76586: 30.1; Question regarding eln-cache

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
76586: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=76586
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#76586: 30.1; Question regarding eln-cache
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Rahul Martim Juliato <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2025 10:16:14 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Rahul Martim Juliato <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2025 19:57:01 -0300
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Let me know if that doesn't work.
> 
> Just finished installing 30.1 on all my machines. I also removed my old
> customization for renaming `eln-cache-[hostname]`, and everything is
> working like a charm.
> 
> > So you are well advised not to do that, even if Emacs gives you enough
> > rope to hang yourself.
> 
> This phrase definitely made my day. Haha!
> 
> 
> Well, as far as I’m concerned, I consider this question very well answered.

Thanks, I'm therefore closing this bug.

Subject: 30.1; Question regarding eln-cache
From: Rahul Martim Juliato <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2025 10:55:36 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This is not a bug, more of a question.

I noticed the addition of `comp-native-version-dir' and found it nice
to be there.

I currently have a workflow where I use the same (but not at the same
time) emacs config from a network folder for both macos (arm
architecture) and debian (x64).

In my config I manually set the name of the folders `eln-cache` to be
something like `eln-cache-machine1` and `eln-cache-machine2`.

Since 30.1 became released, the `comp-native-version-dir' is added to
organize the subfolder.

Does it create this magic number taking in consideration also the
machine architecture? If not, could we make
distinctions between architectures when creating the sub-folders?

If I use the same pre-compiled binaries, will this number be the same on
both machines?

I tried to collect some of this info on [email-masked], confusion
was everywhere, we couldn't conclude anything. Could Emacs maintainers
provide us with a little bit more info or where to find it?

Thanks!

In GNU Emacs 30.1 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.38,
 cairo version 1.16.0) of 2025-02-24 built on debian
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation=aot --with-tree-sitter --with-gif
 --with-png --with-jpeg --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-imagemagick
 --with-pgtk --with-mailutils'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dashboard

Minor modes in effect:
  emms-mode-line-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-display-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-mode: t
  diff-hl-margin-mode: t
  diff-hl-flydiff-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  treemacs-project-follow-mode: t
  treemacs-filewatch-mode: t
  treemacs-follow-mode: t
  treemacs-git-mode: t
  treemacs-fringe-indicator-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  global-treesit-auto-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  global-evil-collection-unimpaired-mode: t
  evil-collection-unimpaired-mode: t
  global-evil-matchit-mode: t
  evil-matchit-mode: t
  global-evil-surround-mode: t
  evil-surround-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  pulsar-global-mode: t
  pulsar-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  persp-mode-project-bridge-mode: t
  persp-mode: t
  global-ligature-mode: t
  ligature-mode: t
  nerd-icons-completion-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  corfu-popupinfo-mode: t
  global-corfu-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/rmj/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20250222.1912/transient hides /usr/local/share/emacs/30.1/lisp/transient
/home/rmj/.emacs.d/elpa/modus-themes-20250220.647/theme-loaddefs hides /usr/local/share/emacs/30.1/lisp/theme-loaddefs

Features:
(shadow mail-extr emacsbug help-fns radix-tree evil-collection-emms
emms-idapi-browser emms-idapi emms-idapi-musicbrainz emms-mpris dbus
emms-librefm-stream xml emms-librefm-scrobbler emms-playlist-limit
emms-i18n emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info
emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon
emms-browser sort emms-volume emms-volume-sndioctl emms-volume-mixerctl
emms-volume-pulse emms-volume-amixer emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played
emms-player-xine emms-player-mpd tq emms-lyrics emms-url emms-streams
emms-show-all emms-tag-editor format-spec emms-tag-tracktag emms-mark
emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info-native emms-info-native-spc
emms-info-native-mp3 emms-info-native-ogg emms-info-native-opus
emms-info-native-flac emms-info-native-vorbis bindat emms-info-exiftool
emms-info-tinytag emms-info-metaflac emms-info-opusinfo
emms-info-ogginfo emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc
emms-player-mpv emms-playing-time emms-info emms-later-do
emms-player-mplayer emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist
emms-source-file locate emms-setup emms emms-compat
evil-collection-wgrep wgrep evil-collection-diff-hl diff-hl-margin
diff-hl-dired diff-hl-flydiff diff-hl evil-collection-log-view log-view
evil-collection-vc-dir vc-dir ewoc evil-collection-log-edit log-edit
message sendmail yank-media puny evil-collection-dired nerd-icons-dired
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec evil-collection-epa epa derived
epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log vc
vc-dispatcher evil-collection-diff-mode diff-mode track-changes
orderless cursor-sensor treemacs-nerd-icons treemacs-evil
treemacs-project-follow-mode treemacs treemacs-header-line
treemacs-compatibility treemacs-mode treemacs-interface
treemacs-persistence treemacs-filewatch-mode treemacs-follow-mode
treemacs-rendering treemacs-annotations treemacs-async
treemacs-workspaces treemacs-dom treemacs-visuals
treemacs-fringe-indicator treemacs-faces treemacs-icons treemacs-scope
treemacs-themes treemacs-core-utils pfuture inline hl-line ht
treemacs-logging treemacs-customization treemacs-macros s dash
evil-collection-dashboard dashboard dashboard-widgets mule-util ffap
private recentf tree-widget evil-collection-which-key which-key
treesit-auto treesit evil-collection-vertico vertico
evil-collection-unimpaired evil-collection-tabulated-list
evil-collection-tab-bar evil-collection-so-long evil-collection-simple
evil-collection-replace evil-collection-process-menu
evil-collection-package-menu evil-collection-minibuffer
evil-collection-kmacro evil-collection-info evil-collection-indent
evil-collection-ibuffer evil-collection-help evil-collection-grep
evil-collection-elisp-mode evil-collection-eldoc evil-collection-custom
evil-collection-corfu evil-collection-compile evil-collection-comint
evil-collection-buff-menu evil-matchit evil-matchit-evil-setup
evil-matchit-sdk semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local find-func
evil-surround evil-collection annalist evil evil-integration evil-maps
evil-commands reveal evil-jumps evil-command-window evil-types
evil-search evil-ex evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states evil-core
evil-common thingatpt rect evil-vars edmacro kmacro pulsar pulse color
undo-tree diff queue async-bytecomp async persp-mode-project-bridge
persp-mode ligature lemacs-init nerd-icons-ibuffer nerd-icons-completion
nerd-icons nerd-icons-faces nerd-icons-data nerd-icons-data-mdicon
nerd-icons-data-flicon nerd-icons-data-codicon nerd-icons-data-devicon
nerd-icons-data-sucicon nerd-icons-data-wicon nerd-icons-data-faicon
nerd-icons-data-powerline nerd-icons-data-octicon
nerd-icons-data-pomicon nerd-icons-data-ipsicon ibuffer-project project
ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs comp comp-cstr cl-extra help-mode
warnings comp-run comp-common rx flymake-eslint marginalia
corfu-popupinfo corfu cape compat server pinentry
modus-vivendi-tinted-theme modus-themes cus-edit pp wid-edit time
auth-source-pass bind-key xt-mouse winner savehist saveplace
pixel-scroll cua-base autorevert filenotify desktop frameset so-long
delsel grep compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring
cus-load 0x0-autoloads add-node-modules-path-autoloads
apheleia-autoloads easy-mmode breadcrumb-autoloads cape-autoloads
catppuccin-theme-autoloads colorful-mode-autoloads corfu-autoloads
dashboard-autoloads diff-hl-autoloads dired-subtree-autoloads
dired-hacks-utils-autoloads diredfl-autoloads docker-autoloads
dockerfile-mode-autoloads doom-modeline-autoloads dotenv-mode-autoloads
eat-autoloads eldoc-box-autoloads elfeed-tube-mpv-autoloads
elfeed-tube-autoloads aio-autoloads elfeed-autoloads ellama-autoloads
embark-consult-autoloads consult-autoloads embark-autoloads
emms-autoloads erc-hl-nicks-autoloads
eshell-syntax-highlighting-autoloads eshell-z-autoloads
evil-collection-autoloads annalist-autoloads evil-matchit-autoloads
evil-surround-autoloads exec-path-from-shell-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads flymake-eslint-autoloads forge-autoloads
closql-autoloads emacsql-autoloads geiser-guile-autoloads
geiser-autoloads gh-md-autoloads ghub-autoloads
git-timemachine-autoloads handlebars-mode-autoloads hl-todo-autoloads
ibuffer-project-autoloads indent-guide-autoloads js-pkg-mode-autoloads
khalel-autoloads kkp-autoloads ligature-autoloads llm-autoloads
lsp-tailwindcss-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads magit-stats-autoloads
marginalia-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads modus-themes-autoloads
mpv-autoloads nerd-icons-completion-autoloads nerd-icons-corfu-autoloads
nerd-icons-dired-autoloads nerd-icons-ibuffer-autoloads
olivetti-autoloads orderless-autoloads org-modern-autoloads
org-ros-autoloads package-lint-autoloads
persp-mode-project-bridge-autoloads persp-mode-autoloads
pinentry-autoloads plz-event-source-autoloads plz-media-type-autoloads
plz-autoloads polymode-autoloads proced-narrow-autoloads
pulsar-autoloads pyvenv-autoloads rainbow-delimiters-autoloads
ready-player-autoloads sass-mode-autoloads haml-mode-autoloads
scss-mode-autoloads shrink-path-autoloads f-autoloads sly-autoloads
smartparens-autoloads spinner-autoloads sudo-edit-autoloads
tablist-autoloads tempel-collection-autoloads tempel-autoloads
transmission-autoloads transpose-frame-autoloads treemacs-evil-autoloads
evil-autoloads goto-chg-autoloads treemacs-icons-dired-autoloads
treemacs-magit-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase transient-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads llama-autoloads treemacs-nerd-icons-autoloads
treemacs-autoloads cfrs-autoloads posframe-autoloads ht-autoloads
hydra-autoloads lv-autoloads pfuture-autoloads ace-window-autoloads
avy-autoloads s-autoloads dash-autoloads nerd-icons-autoloads
treepy-autoloads treesit-auto-autoloads typescript-mode-autoloads
undo-tree-autoloads queue-autoloads vc-msg-autoloads popup-autoloads
vdirel-autoloads helm-autoloads helm-core-autoloads async-autoloads
org-vcard-autoloads verb-autoloads vertico-autoloads web-mode-autoloads
wfnames-autoloads wgrep-autoloads info with-editor-autoloads
xclip-autoloads xterm-color-autoloads yaml-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads
yeetube-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib early-init rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win
term/common-win touch-screen pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk
lcms2 multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 748467 190575) (symbols 48 29921 19)
 (strings 32 214960 6008) (string-bytes 1 8549689) (vectors 16 52457)
 (vector-slots 8 1316547 238197) (floats 8 1275 55)
 (intervals 56 4166 738) (buffers 992 14))