Subject: Re: bug#76585: ielm clobbers history on C-c C-c, C-d

From: Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2025 19:09:16 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2025 07:44:54 -0500
>> 
>> When the ielm inferior dummy process exits, we don't save its history:
>> when we next start ielm, we reload its history from the save file,
>> losing any entries between last history save and the present.
>
> I don't use IELM too often,

Is there something better?

> so apologies if what I ask below makes no
> sense or is silly: you are saying that ielm--input-history-writer is
> not called when the dummy process exits, is that right?

When I start Emacs, if I type M-x ielm, then M-p through history, I
might observe (most recent first) history entries C, B, and A, with the
three entries coming from the ielm history file. If I type additional
ielm commands D and E, then at the next prompt after E, if I hit M-p, I
see E, and if I hit M-p again, I get D, then C, and so on. If I hit C-c
C-c, killing the ielm subprocess, then M-x ielm again, then press M-p, I
see C, B, A --- as if my D, E session had never happened.