Subject: bug#7658: 24.0.50; emacsclient not raising frame

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 17:23:22 -0500

When using emacsclient and eval'ing a function that calls
`select-frame-by-name', the emacs frame is not raised.

To simplify for this bug report, I'm using `select-frame-by-name'
directly (below).

emacsclient -n --eval "(select-frame-by-name \"emacs@system\")"
(I replaced the real system-name with "system").

>From the command line I can see:

emacs-24.0.50\bin\emacsclient.exe: connected to remote socket at
xxx.xx.x.xxx

So I can see that it made the connection (I removed the real IP adress)
but the frame is not raised.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2010-12-13 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/imagesupport/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug
-report>

Recent messages:
Loading e:/home/.emacs.d/.emacs-custom-24.el (source)...done
Adding e:/home/cygwin to load-path
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug debug canlock sha1 hex-util newcomment pp two-column
iso-transl help-mode view gnus-fun mule-util sort gnus-cite smiley
ansi-color mail-extr gnus-bcklg qp re-builder multi-isearch gnus-async
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile gnus-ml nndraft nnmh nndoc utf-7 nnagent
nnml nnimap utf7 nnfolder parse-time gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view smime dig
nntp proto-stream starttls tls gnus-cache epa-file epa derived epg
epg-config sieve sieve-mode sieve-manage password-cache nnir gnus-sum
gnus-group mm-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-util url-parse auth-source netrc url-vars
mailcap time-date gnus-undo nnmail mail-source format-spec gnus-start
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnoo nnheader
gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-macro advice advice-preload
pager w3m-search w3m help-fns browse-url doc-view easymenu jka-compr
dired regexp-opt image-mode timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb easy-mmode
bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util
wid-edit w3m-wget cl server edmacro kmacro paren tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win
w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev button minibuffer
faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process multi-tty emacs)