Subject: bug#76566: [PATCH] Implement display-line-numbers-spacing-width

From: Miro Palmu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2025 09:32:19 +0200

> Thanks, but I'm not sure I like this feature, especially when there
> are no spaces.
> 
> Why is this needed?

I like to use relative numbering and maximize available room for text.
Columns taken by line numbers go from 4 to 2 when the spacing is set to zero.
Setting just display-line-numbers-width does not remove the spaces.

Here is Emacs stackexchange question asking the same thing,
which motivated me to try to implement the feature:
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/q/52269

So, there is desire to customize or at least remove the spaces.
However, the approach of `display-line-numbers-spacing-width'
might not be the best one. It was one that was easy to implement.

Also, I noticed that my doc string has mistake. It says:

> Any other value than non-negative integer is treated as 1.

but it should be:

> Negative values are treated as zero.

Miro Palmu