Subject: bug#76553: 31.0.50; TRAMP failure with `tramp-use-connection-share' set to nil

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2025 15:01:32 +0100

Hi (again) Michael,

Currently, TRAMP is failing with `tramp-use-connection-share' set to nil
(my setting because I manage ControlMaster in my own .ssh/config).  How
to reproduce this:

             - emacs -Q
             - M-: (setopt tramp-use-connection-share nil) <RET>
             - C-x C-f /-:somewhere: <RET>

Now I get the following error:

tramp-signal-hook-function: Wrong type argument: "char-or-string-p nil"

The culprit seems to be the cond in `tramp-ssh-or-plink-options' which
could end up returning nil.

Best regards,

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 5, x86_64-unknown-openbsd7.6, X toolkit) of
 2025-02-25 built on computer
Repository revision: 53eec34da1bf2fb9381680734a99f3fb11225787
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101015
System Description: OpenBSD computer 7.6 GENERIC.MP#554 amd64

Configured using:
 'configure CC=egcc CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include
 LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib MAKEINFO=gmakeinfo --prefix=/home/manuel/emacs
 --bindir=/home/manuel/bin --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars=no --without-cairo
 --without-compress-install'

Configured features:
DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LCMS2 LIBOTF
LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS
TIFF TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XFT XIM XINERAMA XINPUT2 XPM XRANDR
LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  debbugs-browse-mode: t
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  exwm-randr-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-xsettings hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-xsettings
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-xim hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-xim
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-workspace hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-workspace
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-randr hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-randr
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-manage hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-manage
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-layout hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-layout
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-input hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-input
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-floating hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-floating
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-systemtray hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-systemtray
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-core hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-core
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-background hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-background
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/ef-themes-1.9.0/theme-loaddefs hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/theme-loaddefs

Features:
(shadow emacsbug lisp-mnt misearch multi-isearch flow-fill qp sort
gnus-cite mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize
uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml gnus-topic
mm-archive url-cache utf-7 imap rfc2104 nndoc nndraft nnmh
network-stream nnfolder nnml gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache nnrss vc-annotate pulse help-fns radix-tree
cl-print edebug debug backtrace tramp-cmds tramp-cache time-stamp
tramp-sh org-agenda cus-start org-indent tex-mode slime-asdf grep
slime-tramp tramp trampver tramp-integration tramp-message tramp-compat
shell tramp-loaddefs slime-fancy slime-indentation slime-cl-indent
cl-indent slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu
slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch
slime-presentations slime-macrostep slime-mdot-fu
slime-enclosing-context slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace
slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc
slime-repl slime-parse slime apropos compile etags fileloop xref project
arc-mode archive-mode hyperspec oc-basic org-element org-persist org-id
org-element-ast inline avl-tree generator ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc
ol-info ol-gnus nnselect ol-docview ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m
ol-doi org-link-doi gnus-icalendar org-capture org-refile org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src sh-script smie
treesit executable ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-osc
ansi-color org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol rx org-fold
org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs org-compat org-macs doc-view
filenotify jka-compr image-mode exif hideshow rng-xsd xsd-regexp
rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse
rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln
nxml-rap sgml-mode facemenu nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok macrostep-c
cmacexp macrostep noutline outline conf-mode gnus-dired on-screen eww
vtable mule-util url-queue mm-url vc-dir ewoc vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src
vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view log-edit add-log pcvs-util vc-git
diff-mode track-changes files-x vc vc-dispatcher debbugs-browse
bug-reference format-spec time battery desktop frameset exwm-randr
xcb-randr exwm exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage exwm-floating
xcb-cursor xcb-render exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh
xcb-icccm xcb xcb-xproto xcb-types xcb-debug server ef-themes
modus-operandi-theme modus-themes zone speed-type dash thingatpt
url-http url-auth url-gw nsm compat ytdious ring mpdired transmission
color calc-bin calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs supercite regi
ebdb-gnus gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls
dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
gnus-win ebdb-message message yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg
rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
gmm-utils mailheader ebdb-mua ebdb-com crm ebdb-format ebdb mailabbrev
eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe find-func eieio-base timezone
icalendar gnus nnheader gnus-util text-property-search time-date range
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
web-mode advice derived disp-table erlang-start skeleton cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs elec-pair edmacro kmacro use-package-bind-key bind-key appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs pcase dired-x
dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs use-package-core repeat easy-mmode
cus-edit pp cus-load wid-edit debbugs-autoloads ebdb-autoloads cl-extra
help-mode ef-themes-autoloads exwm-autoloads gnuplot-autoloads
hyperbole-autoloads kotl-autoloads hact set hhist notmuch-autoloads
on-screen-autoloads osm-autoloads pdf-tools-autoloads
rust-mode-autoloads slime-autoloads macrostep-autoloads
speed-type-autoloads info dash-autoloads sudo-edit-autoloads
svg-clock-autoloads tablist-autoloads transmission-autoloads
xelb-autoloads ytdious-autoloads package browse-url xdg url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json
subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind kqueue lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process tty-child-frames emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1207207 416061) (symbols 48 60348 0)
 (strings 32 302332 30825) (string-bytes 1 8541608)
 (vectors 16 185350) (vector-slots 8 2504674 105625)
 (floats 8 710 5695) (intervals 56 44038 12706) (buffers 992 110))

-- 
Manuel Giraud