Subject: bug#76553: closed (Re: bug#76553: 31.0.50; TRAMP failure with `tramp-use-connection-share' set to nil)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2025 15:22:03 +0000

Your bug report

#76553: 31.0.50; TRAMP failure with `tramp-use-connection-share' set to nil

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
76553: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=76553
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#76553: 31.0.50; TRAMP failure with `tramp-use-connection-share' set to nil
From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
To: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2025 16:21:31 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> The culprit seems to be the cond in `tramp-ssh-or-plink-options' which
>> could end up returning nil.
>
> Thanks for the bug report and the analysis (which is valid)! I've pushed
> a fix to the master btanch; could you pls test?

I works great!  Thanks and I'm closing this bug.

Best regards,
-- 
Manuel Giraud

Subject: 31.0.50; TRAMP failure with `tramp-use-connection-share' set to nil
From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2025 15:01:32 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi (again) Michael,

Currently, TRAMP is failing with `tramp-use-connection-share' set to nil
(my setting because I manage ControlMaster in my own .ssh/config).  How
to reproduce this:

             - emacs -Q
             - M-: (setopt tramp-use-connection-share nil) <RET>
             - C-x C-f /-:somewhere: <RET>

Now I get the following error:

tramp-signal-hook-function: Wrong type argument: "char-or-string-p nil"

The culprit seems to be the cond in `tramp-ssh-or-plink-options' which
could end up returning nil.

Best regards,

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 5, x86_64-unknown-openbsd7.6, X toolkit) of
 2025-02-25 built on computer
Repository revision: 53eec34da1bf2fb9381680734a99f3fb11225787
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101015
System Description: OpenBSD computer 7.6 GENERIC.MP#554 amd64

Configured using:
 'configure CC=egcc CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include
 LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib MAKEINFO=gmakeinfo --prefix=/home/manuel/emacs
 --bindir=/home/manuel/bin --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars=no --without-cairo
 --without-compress-install'

Configured features:
DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LCMS2 LIBOTF
LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS
TIFF TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XFT XIM XINERAMA XINPUT2 XPM XRANDR
LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  debbugs-browse-mode: t
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  exwm-randr-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-xsettings hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-xsettings
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-xim hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-xim
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-workspace hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-workspace
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-randr hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-randr
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-manage hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-manage
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-layout hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-layout
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-input hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-input
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-floating hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-floating
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-systemtray hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-systemtray
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-core hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-core
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-background hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.33/exwm-background
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/ef-themes-1.9.0/theme-loaddefs hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/theme-loaddefs

Features:
(shadow emacsbug lisp-mnt misearch multi-isearch flow-fill qp sort
gnus-cite mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize
uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml gnus-topic
mm-archive url-cache utf-7 imap rfc2104 nndoc nndraft nnmh
network-stream nnfolder nnml gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache nnrss vc-annotate pulse help-fns radix-tree
cl-print edebug debug backtrace tramp-cmds tramp-cache time-stamp
tramp-sh org-agenda cus-start org-indent tex-mode slime-asdf grep
slime-tramp tramp trampver tramp-integration tramp-message tramp-compat
shell tramp-loaddefs slime-fancy slime-indentation slime-cl-indent
cl-indent slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu
slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch
slime-presentations slime-macrostep slime-mdot-fu
slime-enclosing-context slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace
slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc
slime-repl slime-parse slime apropos compile etags fileloop xref project
arc-mode archive-mode hyperspec oc-basic org-element org-persist org-id
org-element-ast inline avl-tree generator ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc
ol-info ol-gnus nnselect ol-docview ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m
ol-doi org-link-doi gnus-icalendar org-capture org-refile org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src sh-script smie
treesit executable ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-osc
ansi-color org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol rx org-fold
org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs org-compat org-macs doc-view
filenotify jka-compr image-mode exif hideshow rng-xsd xsd-regexp
rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse
rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln
nxml-rap sgml-mode facemenu nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok macrostep-c
cmacexp macrostep noutline outline conf-mode gnus-dired on-screen eww
vtable mule-util url-queue mm-url vc-dir ewoc vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src
vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view log-edit add-log pcvs-util vc-git
diff-mode track-changes files-x vc vc-dispatcher debbugs-browse
bug-reference format-spec time battery desktop frameset exwm-randr
xcb-randr exwm exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage exwm-floating
xcb-cursor xcb-render exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh
xcb-icccm xcb xcb-xproto xcb-types xcb-debug server ef-themes
modus-operandi-theme modus-themes zone speed-type dash thingatpt
url-http url-auth url-gw nsm compat ytdious ring mpdired transmission
color calc-bin calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs supercite regi
ebdb-gnus gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls
dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
gnus-win ebdb-message message yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg
rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
gmm-utils mailheader ebdb-mua ebdb-com crm ebdb-format ebdb mailabbrev
eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe find-func eieio-base timezone
icalendar gnus nnheader gnus-util text-property-search time-date range
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
web-mode advice derived disp-table erlang-start skeleton cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs elec-pair edmacro kmacro use-package-bind-key bind-key appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs pcase dired-x
dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs use-package-core repeat easy-mmode
cus-edit pp cus-load wid-edit debbugs-autoloads ebdb-autoloads cl-extra
help-mode ef-themes-autoloads exwm-autoloads gnuplot-autoloads
hyperbole-autoloads kotl-autoloads hact set hhist notmuch-autoloads
on-screen-autoloads osm-autoloads pdf-tools-autoloads
rust-mode-autoloads slime-autoloads macrostep-autoloads
speed-type-autoloads info dash-autoloads sudo-edit-autoloads
svg-clock-autoloads tablist-autoloads transmission-autoloads
xelb-autoloads ytdious-autoloads package browse-url xdg url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json
subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind kqueue lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process tty-child-frames emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1207207 416061) (symbols 48 60348 0)
 (strings 32 302332 30825) (string-bytes 1 8541608)
 (vectors 16 185350) (vector-slots 8 2504674 105625)
 (floats 8 710 5695) (intervals 56 44038 12706) (buffers 992 110))

-- 
Manuel Giraud