Subject: Re: bug#76538: 31.0.50; 31.0.50; 31.0.50; feature/igc: using magit-section-cycle-global (S-TAB) and magit-section-toggle (TAB) in some random ways blocks GNU Emacs.

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2025 16:59:29 +0000

Pip Cet via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text
editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> The main difference appears to be the charpos<->bytepos cache in the
> weak marker vector, which grows to 0x8000 entries.  That seems
> excessive, but IIRC, what really matters is the order in which they're
> tried.

FYI, I regularly observe bytepos_to_charpos in my perf traces.  So, the
impact is rather significant. Especially when buffer has many markers.
I think we discussed this problem as improved the situation somewhat in
https://yhetil.org/emacs-devel/87v81u85hv.fsf@localhost/

Maybe there is something more that can be done?

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode maintainer,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>