Subject: Re: bug#76530: Remove or update dir file in the debbugs package

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2025 09:08:04 +0100

Jonas Bernoulli via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of
text editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Jonas,

> The last commit changed the $direntry name of the manuals, but the
> tracked dir file was not updated.  Because that file is being tracked,
> running install-info results in uncommitted changes.

Thanks for the heads-up. I've modified the dir file accordingly, pushed
to the ELPA git repo.

> I recommend you remove this file; I believe it is not commonly tracked.

(package-initialize) adds the directories, where packages are installed,
to Info-directory-list. Therefore, the dir file is taken into account.

> Alternatively regenerate it and check in the changes.  I would have done
> that myself, but this resulted in more changes than what one would
> expect from looking just at 69f4dc14e8cbffbada422fe4e2d5640692a63425.
> It appears it makes a difference what version of install-info is used --
> another reason not to check in this file.

In the past, I've experienced problems when generating the dir
file. Therefore, I edit it manually all the time.

The change will appear with debbugs 0.44, to be released in a couple of
days (hopefully). If you want to check it just now, you could install
the recent debbugs 0.43.0.20250225.140711 from the
<https://elpa.gnu.org/devel/> archive.

>     Cheers,
>     Jonas

Best regards, Michael.