Subject: bug#76516: [shepherd] Timer not executed

From: Tomas Volf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2025 00:37:01 +0100

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> [..]
>
> Another thing I had in mind was to use an elogind hook so that shepherd
> would know when we’re suspending; this is necessary for other things
> such as locking LUKS devices on suspend.  But that’s a change for 1.1.x.

I see two possible problem here (both solvable).

1. AFAICT shepherd currently does not depend on elogind at all.  Having
it as a run-time dependency might be fine on Guix (assuming we move
elogind into %base-services), but could be annoying on foreign
distributions, especially from non-root user's point of view.

2. How will the hook know what all processes it should let know?  There
is no global registry of all running shepherd processes no?

Though I am sure both of these are solvable.

Have a nice day (and thanks for the fix :) ),
Tomas

-- 
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.