Subject: bug#7651: closed (23.2.91; Rmail doesn't allow displaying text attachments conveniently)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 07:59:01 +0000

Your bug report

#7651: 23.2.91; Rmail doesn't allow displaying text attachments conveniently

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
7651: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7651
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: 23.2.91; Rmail doesn't allow displaying text attachments conveniently
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 09:56:45 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This bug was fixed quite some time ago, it's time to close it.

Subject: 23.2.91; Rmail doesn't allow displaying text attachments conveniently
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 01:15:46 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The new Rmail-MIME feature is nice, but it has some rough edges.  One
of them is that I lost an easy way of displaying many text
attachments.

Specifically, it looks like we display text attachments by default,
but only if content-disposition is "inline".  Maybe that's what the
various RFCs mandate, but why isn't there at least a button to display
the text (in the same or another buffer) if the user decides to do
that?  Previously, if I trusted the sender and the contents, I could
type `e', then decode the attachment manually, and "C-c C-c" to read
it as part of the message.  Now I can only save the attachment to a
file and visit it -- an inconvenience.  For someone who gets to review
patches, this is a serious inconvenience, especially since `v' does
not seem to work anymore in the Rmail buffer.

Also, there's something strange in the way we treat text/x-patch
attachments as text.  rmailmm.el has these 2 lines:

    ("text/.*" rmail-mime-text-handler)
    ("text/\\(x-\\)?patch" rmail-mime-bulk-handler)

which to my interpretation mean that the second line will never be
used, right?

In GNU Emacs 23.2.91.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9)
 of 2010-12-11 on fencepost
configured using `configure  '--with-jpeg=no' '--with-gif=no' '--with-tiff=no''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: RMAIL

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC 
O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O B ESC O C ESC O C 
ESC O C ESC O C ESC O C ESC O C ESC O C C-r C-w C-w 
C-w C-w C-r C-x C-x C-s C-s C-s ESC O A C-x C-x C-r 
C-r ESC O A ESC O A ESC O D ESC O D ESC O D ESC O D 
C-s C-w C-w C-w C-w C-w C-w C-s C-s C-s C-x C-x C-s 
C-s C-s ESC O q ESC O A ESC O A C-x C-_ ESC O A C-_ 
C-x b RET ESC p ESC p ESC p ESC p ESC p ESC p ESC p 
ESC p ESC p ESC p ESC p ESC p ESC p ESC p SPC SPC SPC 
SPC ESC p ESC p SPC ESC p ESC n ESC p ESC p SPC ESC 
p ESC p ESC p ESC p SPC ESC p SPC ESC p SPC ESC p SPC 
SPC ESC p ESC p ESC p ESC p SPC ESC p SPC ESC p ESC 
p ESC p ESC p SPC SPC ESC p ESC p SPC SPC ESC p ESC 
p ESC p ESC p SPC SPC ESC p SPC SPC SPC ESC p ESC p 
SPC ESC p SPC SPC SPC ESC p ESC p SPC SPC ESC p ESC 
p ESC p ESC p ESC p ESC p ESC p n d ESC p p p SPC p 
p SPC p SPC p p p p p p p SPC C-x o ESC > C-x o ESC 
x r e p o r t - e m TAB RET

Recent messages:
Making completion list...
Mark set
Mark saved where search started [9 times]
Undo!
call-interactively: End of buffer [3 times]
Showing message 1124
Showing message 1124...done
Showing message 1124
Showing message 1124...done
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug help-mode view two-column dabbrev newcomment flyspell
ispell etags ring vc-bzr cc-mode cc-fonts cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs multi-isearch rmailsum rmailmm
message sendmail regexp-opt ecomplete rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mailabbrev
nnheader gnus-util netrc gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1
hex-util hashcash mail-parse rfc2231 rmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
time-date qp mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time paren cus-start
cus-load savehist saveplace tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset
image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
emacs)