Subject: bug#76505: 31.0.50; igc: M-x project-compile is slow

From: Pip Cet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2025 20:36:40 +0000

"Ihor Radchenko" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> M-: (benchmark-progn (igc-collect))
>> Elapsed time: 3.086109s
>
> btw, is 3 seconds collection normal?

For a full collection, it may be, but that's why we don't want to do
those :-)

> I am asking because I see few second hangs that are caused by automatic
> garbage collection as well (now, when I enabled garbage-collection-messages)

That sounds excessive, even for a large session!  In this large session,
I'm certainly not seeing hangs of a few seconds, and a full GC also
takes about 3 seconds.

Are you using the standard generation chain?

I suspect the problem is indeed in the file notification code.  I recall
I ended up turning off auto-revert because it broke some scenarios too
badly, but it'd be nice to figure out what's going on there and fix it
properly.

Pip