Subject: Re: [bug#76503] [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg

From: pinoaffe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2025 15:31:28 +0200

(I previously sent this mail to steve alone, am resending it now with
 the mailing list et al in CC)
    
Steve George <[email-masked]> writes:
> Reflecting things that we agree on: I will try and avoid the word
> 'vote'. I'll rename to 'deliberation-record' (1). And, will use
> 'Deliberation record' elsehwere.
>
> Things we don't agree on: I don't see a way to avoid the verb "vote"
> for the action of "officially recording ones position".
I think there's an issue here, as to me, the "voting" process at the end
of a GCD is not about recording ones position, but about recording not
just position, but also how strong that position is, and how tolerable
the other outcomes are to you.

If someone prefers that a GCD be withdrawn but would find its acceptance
acceptable, they should probably "vote" accept, even if their preference
is quite strong

> It's the only usable word I can come up with (which is odd for
> English). I don't want to mis-use the word deliberation as a verb for
> vote. If someone can come up with a meaningful verb for 'vote' I will
> use that - I just genuinely can't find one that isn't really odd
> (e.g. "It's time to measure our consensus" sounds like a weird
> euphemism to me!).

> It means it's hard to avoid a sentence like "As the Deliberation
> Period is at an end, it's time to vote on GCDNNN"

I would go for something along the lines of "As the Deliberation Period
is at an end, it's time to see/look whether consensus has been reached"

Alternatively, naming this process something like a (consensus) poll or
a show of hands might help prevent the associations with majority-based
decision making

And instead of "X people voted" you could say something like "X people
responded (to the poll)"

Kind regards,
pinoaffe