Subject: Re: Delibaration vs. voting

From: Felix Lechner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2025 10:25:09 -0700

Hi,

On Mon, May 12 2025, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:

> we could use "deliberation results" or "results of the deliberation" ?

Perhaps a clickable thesaurus could help to explore adjacent meanings?
According to The Free Dictionary, the shade meaning for "vote" you are
all chasing is "poll". [1]

If the word "poll" alone is not good enough, there are also "tally",
"record" or "survey" (although futurile will probably find that, in
Guix, the latter was already taken).

As a former minor public official for ten years (a library commissioner
in California) I'll add that words can only do so much.  A consensus is
a living thing.

Compromise come from the heart. It's something we do for each other.

And then it doesn't matter what you call it.  I always called it a vote,
but I would have called it anything that fits, without hesitation.

Kind regards,
Felix

[1] https://www.freethesaurus.com/poll