Subject: [bug#76503] [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2025 22:01:47 +0100

Hi Arun,

Thanks for your feedback.

First, thank you and Ricardo for mumi.  I didn’t write a single line of
it but I certainly encouraged it, enjoyed it (the version you deployed
yesterday or so is super nice, BTW!), and for a long time saw it as the
key to providing a good contributor experience “to those who don’t like
email”.

I think I was/we were wrong in two ways: first it’s not just about
providing a web interface, and second there are limitations in our
workflow that we just cannot overcome, as I tried to explain in the
“Motivation” section.  We tried, very hard, and for a reason: a belief
(as far as I’m concerned) that we could not only be responsible for our
infra but also, in a way, that we could show fellow free software
hackers that an alternative development model was possible.

Your message raises concerns about the storage/bandwidth requirements of
Guix and the ability of a non-profit to keep up.

I agree with Leo and the GCD mentions it as well: we need to talk with
Codeberg e.V. from the start, possibly becoming a voting member, and to
offer funding.  FWIW, we’re at 600 MiB¹ out of the 750 MiB quota².  The
GCD documents AGit; we could make it the recommended way to contribute,
if that helps.

Will Codeberg manage to keep up?  We don’t know.  It’s not the first
non-profit doing it though.  Framasoft has been running a popular GitLab
instance³ with 76k projects for 53k people⁴; its budget is higher but
they’re also doing primarily things unrelated to source code hosting.
Codeberg e.V. is specialized so I’d like to believe they have a lot of
headroom.  That they’re transparent and upfront about their scalability
issues is a rather good sign to me.

Assuming we agree that a move along the lines of this proposal is
desirable (let me know if you think we don’t share that premise), what
other options would you think of?

Ludo’.

¹ https://codeberg.org/guix/guix-mirror
² https://blog.codeberg.org/more-power-for-you-what-a-storage-quota-will-bring.html
³ https://framagit.org/
⁴ https://framablog.org/2024/12/28/framasoft-en-chiffres-edition-2024/