Subject: Re: bug#76503: [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg

From: Cayetano Santos <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2025 15:36:36 +0200

Hi Ludo,

  Thanks for the recall. I thinks it is worth having a later and careful
  reading on the proposal before the end of this period, considering its
  relevance. A few remarks (disclaimer: low profile contributor, here).

  First and most important, to me what really matters here is making
  life easy to reviewers, committers and infrastructure maintainers.
  Contributors will most probably find their way, no matter what
  interface we use. To be honest, I don’t feel like Guix suffers from
  attracting contributors (see
  https://debbugs.gnu.org/rrd/guix-patches.html), but rather from
  keeping them motivated.

  I noticed that the service I personally use the most, yhetil.org
  (public-inbox instance) for navigating issues, bugs, patches and mail
  lists, is not even mentioned in the GCD.

  Then, latest improvements (since the writing of this GCD) to mumi
  (thanks !) greatly simplify locating relevant information, both using
  issues web and cli.

  Finally, the whole proposal may be understood as a delegation on
  Codeberg e.V. capabilities, which makes Guix dependent on a third
  party. This might reveal with time as a good or a bad idea, only
  future can tell. Assuming there are no significant issues from their
  side, I’m curious about how Guix as a whole would handle a significant
  raise on contributions (see graphs above). Which brings to my previous
  first and most important statement.

All the best,

C.