Subject: [bug#76503] [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2025 22:45:44 +0200

Hi Liliana,

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:

> In "Detailed Design > User Interfaces", we do talk about dedicated
> Forgejo clients and nice pull request tricks, but an important user
> interface I think is missing is a (preferably unauthenticated, but
> moderated) way of discussing patches/merge requests.  Reading until the
> end of the document, this appears to be acknowledged as an open issue,
> "a step back compared to the email-based workflow" – but let's put
> aside the need for authentication and focus on tools.  We give fj.el as
> one tool that can accomplish this (though online and not offline like
> email), but it seems we don't have any other; or rather that they are
> only useful for Codeberg/Forgejo and nothing else.  Is there any more
> generic tool (besides a browser, I guess) that one can incidentally use
> to also look at discussions on Codeberg?

Besides fj.el (and possibly Magit-Forge—someone mentioned privately
working on the Forgejo backend), the section list command-line tools.
These are all Forgejo clients so one needs a Codeberg account to use
them, at least until federation over ActivityPub is fully operational.

Noé proposed explicitly saying that patches over guix-devel or similar
will remain accepted for those who don’t want/cannot have a Codeberg
account; I think that’s a good idea.

> "Detailed Design > Repository Migration Path" quite notably does not
> talk about how long the Savannah repo will stay up.

That section reads:

  The Savannah `guix.git` repository will become a mirror of the one at
  Codeberg, with a script periodically updating it for **at least one
  year** after the switch, as a way to ease migration to the new
  repository for users.

Let me know if you think something should be added.

Thanks for your feedback!

Ludo’.