Subject: Re: bug#76503: [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg

From: Noé Lopez <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2025 22:08:44 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello Guix!
>
> We have just 9 days left to discuss and improve this GCD.
>
> Please do read the document in its current form:
>
>   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-consensus-documents.git/tree/002-codeberg.md
>
> If you brought up ideas or concerns, or if you spot anything fishy,
> please consider submitting a patch.
>
> On April 23rd, we’ll enter the deliberation period.  It’s important to
> try hard and address outstanding issues by then.
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

Hi Ludo!

Nice GCD :)

I’ve been victim of not receiving the answers to my comments on issues
so I fully support this for the reliability!  Attached are a few
suggestions I think are important.

Firstly, I change “in the future… we should” to “we will” for clarifying
the documentation.

Then, I mention that a blog post will be made to announce to the general
public.

Additionaly, I mention that if someone is unable to access Codeberg, it
is tolerated that they send the patches to guix-devel.  IMO this is
really important since people might suffer from censorship, being
banned, or having their ip range banned because there are ai scrapers in
it or because they are using tor or any other reason.

Lastly, I mention that manually merging is supported directly by
Forgejo.

I still have one question after reading: will non-committers still be
able to participate in bug triage (closing, merging two issues and
reviewing)? I really enjoyed that part of trust in the contributors, it
would be a shame if it would no longer be possible.

Good evening!
Noé

diff --git a/002-codeberg.md b/002-codeberg.md
index 1427a25..55bff86 100644
--- a/002-codeberg.md
+++ b/002-codeberg.md
@@ -165,11 +165,11 @@ who can access each repository:
   - Committers to one of the other repositories can request membership
 	of that repository.
 
-In the future, we should extend the [“Commit
+The [“Commit
 Rights”](https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Commit-Access.html)
-section of the manual to clarify the distinction between being a member
-of the organization and being a member of a specific repository, in a
-specific team.
+section of the manual will be extended to clarify the distinction
+between being a member of the organization and being a member of a
+specific repository, in a specific team.
 
 ## Repository Migration Path
 
@@ -238,7 +238,8 @@ this has been submitted.  The `%default-channel-url` variable would
 refer to `https://git.guix.gnu.org/guix.git`.
 
 Following this commit, an entry in `etc/news.scm` would explain the
-migration.  See [this entry in
+migration, accompanied by a blog post on
+<https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/>.  See [this entry in
 Guix-Science](https://codeberg.org/guix-science/guix-science/commit/fd1b2dacd8d37c9d1939f9dc5a5b74256171ccbd)
 for an example.
 
@@ -267,6 +268,9 @@ simultaneously for several months:
     set up the `bug-guix` and `guix-patches` mailing lists in “Emergency
     Moderation” mode in the Mailman interface—meaning that messages to
     open *new* issues will not get through anymore.
+  - It will be accepted that patches are sent occasionally to
+    `guix-devel` if Codeberg is inaccessible for any reason and for
+    anyone.
   - Interaction on individual issues that were opened via Debbugs before
     this deadline will continue on Debbugs for as long as needed, *via*
     [email-masked]`.
@@ -410,8 +414,8 @@ process](https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Managing-Patches-and-Bra
 
 Note that since Guix requires signed commits by people listed in
 `.guix-authorizations`, we will *not* be able to click the “Merge”
-button nor to enable auto-merge on build success.  We will disable it to
-avoid mistakes.
+button nor to enable auto-merge on build success.  We will disable it
+to avoid mistakes.  Manual merge is supported by Forgejo.
 
 If and when the project migrates, we will incrementally adjust our
 workflow to ensure it scales better.