Subject: [bug#76503] [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg

From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2025 15:23:24 -0700

On 2025-03-14, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]> skribis:
>> Is there duplication of issues? Yup. Sometimes one needs to get
>> forwarded to the other manually. Whee.
>>
>>
>> Do issues get automatically closed on both systems? Usually, if you
>> remember to include the right incantations in your commit messages!
>> Occasionally even if you forget, what magic is that?!
>
> Wait, are users told they can report bugs not just to Debbugs but also
> to salsa.debian.org?  (Back when I used Debian, email, possibly via
> ‘reportbug’, was the only way to report bugs.)

I suspect your days with Debian predate salsa.debian.org by wide
margins. :)

Not sure what users are told these days!  I definitely get issues, bugs,
patches, etc. on both systems for most of my packages. Sometimes I get
issues which point to a prior submission on the other system.

> In practice, would you say that there’s a group only paying attention to
> salsa and another one only paying attention to Debbugs?  Or is it less
> clear-cut than that?

I think there are both maintainers, contributors and other users paying
more attention to one or the other system... and to be honest, there are
maintainers that seem to pay attention to neither! It seems largely up
to individual preferences (and the intersection of multiple parties
preferences). I cannot say I get a sense of a "type" of user using one
or the other system.

>> I do feel, given what I have heard from several people in this
>> discussion, that proposing a flag day with a short time of overlap is
>> going to be very hard for this community, and possibly more divisive
>> than whatever fracturing we might encounter by maintaining two
>> concurrent technical systems over an extended time period...
>
> Note that, as currently worded, the flag day is only for new bug reports
> and patches; if we were to adopt it as-is, we’d continue using Debbugs
> for months or years to process the backlog.
>
> It wouldn’t be as sharp a transition as it may seem.

That seems like a reasonable plan to a large extent, though I still get
the sense that there are some people who would like it to last
considerably longer.

Might be worth spelling out the various tradeoffs of what it would
require for a short, medium and long transition; I am not really sure
what they are off the top of my head...

From my personal experiences with Debian, it looks to me possible to do
both systems for a long time, but the extent of the downsides are
unclear to me.

live well,
  vagrant