Subject: [bug#76503] [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2025 23:17:45 +0100

Hi,

Cayetano Santos <[email-masked]> skribis:

>   This point might become relevant at some point ahead on time. Do we
>   have any reference of a successful migration to another gitlab /
>   forgejo instance ? I’m thinking here about the long term retrieval of
>   all information we will deposit at codeberg during the incoming years.
>   No one knows what the future will provide, but I think, from my
>   perspective, that a complete demo exercise might be helpful to this
>   respect before going any further.

We have experience migrating from GitHub (Guix-Science, etc.) and from a
GitLab instance (Guix-Past, etc.) to Codeberg: this is almost lossless
conversion.

Migrating between Forgejo instances would be trivial: Forgejo supports
it as well.

We don’t know what the future will look like, but given the rich
interface and structured data, I’m confident that it will always be
possible to extract it and feed it into other similar systems.

Ludo’.