Subject: [bug#76503] [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg

From: 45mg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2025 08:48:56 +0000

Divya Ranjan via Guix-patches via <[email-masked]> writes:

> I would be open to a consideration of using BugZilla or Gerrit for
> that matter, even though I’m not used to them, the possibility of
> working with them without a browser, motivates me to learn them.

Ignore me if I'm not adding anything to the discussion here, but I'd
like to remind everyone that there is also the possibility of working
with Codeberg without a browser:

https://codeberg.org/forgejo-contrib/delightful-forgejo#clients
https://github.com/magit/forge

I haven't tried these, and no doubt there will be shortcomings. But both
Forgejo and its clients are all open-source, so it's possible to work on
and improve them.

Speaking for myself at least, I know that if I could find the time, I'd
enjoy improving any of the existing CLI or Emacs interfaces to a modern
forge with a seemingly-bright future (federation!), knowing that my work
would benefit the countless open-source projects that use it, and the
modern FOSS movement by extension.

I can't really say the same for improving my personal email-based
workflow, whose setup is too complex for me to expect anyone else to
ever use it. Or for setting up and/or working on Bugzilla, or Gerrit, or
Debbugs... these are all great projects, I'm sure, but they're not
likely to have a lot of new adopters, which means that the impact of
improving them is going to be much smaller.

I realize that everyone's motivation comes from a different place, but I
think it's worth looking at the benefit this proposal could bring to the
FOSS community at large. We have a lot of active and competent power
users, and an active and competent userbase is the biggest asset for any
project. If we use program 'X' as a core part of our workflow, then
program 'X' gains all those users. Obviously improving Forgejo is far
from the first priority for us, but it is a nice bonus, and makes me
feel a lot more positive about this proposal.