Subject: Re: [bug#76503] [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2025 15:37:40 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, 07 Mar 2025 at 05:22, 45mg <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> For one example, consider
>>> <https://codeberg.org/guix-science/guix-science/pulls/63>.
>>>
>>> As you can see, there is no “Commit“ and no “Files changed“.  Why?
>>> Because Alexis deleted the PR branch.  Therefore, harder to know what
>>> the PR was about; annoyances.
>>
>> Thanks for raising this. This is a very important point. Losing history
>> like this seems very bad. Ideally, we want to have an archive of every
>> conversation and contribution that went into the project. Emails provide
>> this. If Codeberg does not, we should rethink our move.
>
> If you read through the Conversation section, you can see a message for
> every time commits were added to the branch or it was force-pushed. If
> you click on the commit hashes or subjects in these messages, it takes
> you to a description of the commit, featuring a diff and files changed.
> In this way you can see every iteration of the PR, just like we have
> every patch revision in our mailing-list archives.

Yes, as I detailed in [1]. :-)

However, you still need to “click” here or there.  My issue could “live
in the browser” but the one I raise is: you need a stable Internet
connection.  Anyway, another story. :-)

What I wanted to illustrate is about the storage.  Arun wrote [2]:

        I was present with Ludo and others when we visited the Codeberg stall at
        FOSDEM, and enquired about the possibility of hosting Guix on Codeberg.
        The person at the stall was hesitant about our large repo, and our many
        users. In fact, in order to save on disk space, they suggested that we
        encourage our contributors to delete their forks once done. :-D Needless
        to say, that's never going to happen!

And I’m adding elements to this question.

Well, my opinion on this topics of storage is: Without concrete numbers
and explicit questions to Codeberg team, the discussion is speculation
on one way or on the other.

I agree with Ludo [3]:

                   That they’re transparent and upfront about their scalability
        issues is a rather good sign to me.

Therefore, the ball is our camp. :-)  How many submissions per month on
average?  How many revisions per submission?  How many message per
submission?  Etc.

Instead of answering, I could do that… Hum?! 

Cheers,
simon

1: [bug#76503] [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg
Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Thu, 06 Mar 2025 15:15:43 +0100
id:[email-masked]
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/76503
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/[email-masked]
https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]

2: [bug#76503] [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg
Arun Isaac <[email-masked]>
Tue, 25 Feb 2025 14:03:02 +0000
id:[email-masked]
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/76503
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/[email-masked]
https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]

3: [bug#76503] [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg
Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Wed, 26 Feb 2025 22:01:47 +0100
id:[email-masked]
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/76503
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/[email-masked]
https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]

PS: 

> One thing I particularly like is that the final message (well, the one
> before 'deleted branch *typst*') shows you the commit that was finally
> merged. On the mailing lists, many of the issues are closed with a
> message like 'applied with minor tweaks, thanks', and not all committers
> will note the commit hash - so you're left grepping for the patch
> subject line in `git log` if you want to know what tweaks were made.
> Codeberg automatically notes the hash, and you can see the final
> iteration just by clicking on it!

The introduction of Change-Id fixes.  Indeed, it’s not at one click. :-)
Yes, it could be introduced to Mumi and showed in the web-interface.
And then it opens some questions described elsewhere. ;-)