Subject: [bug#76503] [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2025 15:14:55 +0100

Hi Ricardo,

On Thu, 06 Mar 2025 at 21:05, Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> wrote:

> It seems that on Codeberg the primary means of keeping track of things
> is through notifications.  I fear I might still end up dropping the
> ball when a PR requires my attention if it gets buried in countless
> notifications -- especially if I have to keep them unread to ever have
> a chance of finding them again.  Obviously, a fix here would be to
> adjust my behaviour and not let notifications pile up, but this has no
> chance of ever happening.  (In completely unrelated news: I've got
> 17532 unread Guix emails.)

Yes, I agree.  IMHO, it would be a mistake to think that Codeberg would
ease how to deal with all the submissions.  Even, because there is no
simple tools at hand – as Maxim said in [1] – the current interface
makes the process harder, from my point of view.

For example, Leo wrote [2]:

        For me, the big problem with email is that resolved tickets don't get
        removed from my inbox. Currently, my guix-patches inbox has 7000
        messages. And 520 for bug-guix. Since April 2024.

and yeah that’s an issue!  Well, maybe I’ve missed the obvious but my
Notifications are not removed when the PR is merged.

Somehow, the way Codeberg Notifications is currently implemented does
the same way as “my inbox”, IIUC, except that instead of being able to
manipulate these tickets with the comfort on a good email reader, now we
need API queries or live in the browser.

To say it explicitly, only at the scale of guix-science, I was spending
boring time only to manage with these Notifications already processed,
so the fix of my annoyance: fully turn off the Notifications – too old
to be bored again and again and not enough free time to scratch my itch.

Result: the exact same situation as with Debbugs.el – but a bit worse
because fj.el provides less capabilities compared to Debbugs.el and
Notmuch.

To me, moving from “patch by email” to PR is a good thing, potentially.
However, I am not aligned with the proposed “Migration Path”.

Somehow, we need something more gradual. For instance, 2 or 3 steps with
concrete and detailed milestones; targeting the end of “patch by email”
something as next December.

Why?  Because we need to learn more where the friction could be, what is
really lacking, what makes too much hurdle, etc.  And adapt accordingly.

All that to say, I am not convinced that completely jumping to something
fully new for most of us is a good approach; especially when the same us
already know the pitfalls of our tools or behaviour.

Cheers,
simon

1: Re: bug#76503: [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg
Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Tue, 04 Mar 2025 20:22:59 +0900
id:[email-masked]
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2025-03
https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]

2: Re: [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg
Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Thu, 06 Feb 2025 14:39:26 -0500
id:[email-masked]
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2025-02
https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]