Subject: [bug#76503] [GCD] Migrating repositories, issues, and patches to Codeberg

From: Felix Lechner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2025 08:01:35 -0800

Hi Ricardo,

On Fri, Mar 07 2025, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:

> I'd rather work on Guix.

Then why is there a backlog of bugs?

I only see a group of software developers unable to close more bugs than
are being opened.

It's not because of technical limitations, but because the committers
are overwhelmed by the overall bug volume, are afraid to trigger
rebuilds or make other big changes, and are generally overworked
volunteers who also want to do other things in their lives.

> I don't see an active future for the GNU fork of Debbugs

There could be.  I mated Debbugs with Public Inbox.

My system scans Debbugs for changes [1] but does not yet maintain
inboxes by bug number.  The information is available via the NNTP news
protocol, for example with the Gnus configuration below.  People could
subscribe to bugs via a news reader and reduce their mail load.

> [Debbugs] does not even do simple things like delivering notifications
> to *everyone* who participates in an issue discussion.

Debbugs does not copy folks automatically because many do not want it.
In Debian, submitters are often non-technical people.  They do not care
about how a problem is solved, only when it is.  Debbugs does that.

Kind regards
Felix

[1] https://patchwise.org/inbox/bugs-to-scan/

* * *

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nnimap "patchwise.org"
               (nnimap-authenticator anonymous)
               (nnimap-port "imap")
               (nnimap-stream network)))